Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

high-flo cat throwing check engine code

Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
JadXtreme is on a distinguished road
Name: Jamie
JadXtreme's Tacoma Gallery
high-flo cat throwing check engine code

I run across a pretty good deal on a high flow cat-convertor for my 98 Tacoma. Direct bolt on Magnaflow. The same time I put the new cat on, I changed out both of the O2 sensors since one of em was wore out and throwing a code.

Now the check engine light comes on, stays on a day or so, and cuts back off. Its been doing that since I put the new cat and sensors on. I finally had a chance to have it scanned and they told me it was a P0420 code. Said it might be the cat convertor.

The truck doesn't run bad though and I can't really tell a difference in the old cat and the new one. Would it be a good idea to slap the old one back in just to keep the light from coming on or do you think the code might be be something more?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
In my mind I am questioning whether or not putting on the old catalytic converter would help your situation. You ever think that one of your new sensors might be bad or even installed a little funny? Just a thought...
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
This is common when putting in a high flow cat. I would try a o2 sim from urd.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^

Agreed.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
skillet_83 is on a distinguished road
Army: I practice OPSEC =P
Name: Anthony
skillet_83's Tacoma Gallery
get one of these guys...moves the O2 sensor a little further away from the stream. From what I read the code is basically saying your cat isn't doing it's job well enough. Makes sense since you have a high flow as opposed to a "greener" (also more restrictive) cat. A new OEM cat would probably set you back a lot more and take away horse power so I'd definately try the extension thing. HFCs are usually carb legal... but you live in the south so no worries there.

Oh... btw you probably don't feel a loss in power on the butt dyno... but a with a HFC you should feel a slight increase depending on the restrictions of the stocker. On most vehicles the cat is the biggest bottle neck in the exhaust system... followed closely by the headers on a naturally aspirated vehicle.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
JadXtreme is on a distinguished road
Name: Jamie
JadXtreme's Tacoma Gallery
Will it hurt anything the way that it is? I don't have to worry about passing any kind of emissions inspections or anything. My O2 sensors don't screw in like that, it has 2 bolts that hold them in.

What does the O2 sim do?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadXtreme View Post
Will it hurt anything the way that it is? I don't have to worry about passing any kind of emissions inspections or anything. My O2 sensors don't screw in like that, it has 2 bolts that hold them in.

What does the O2 sim do?
yeah...we got the double post/stud o2 sensors. best bet...as mentioned a few posts back...is the o2 sensor sim from urdusa.com...............and they are very easy to install. im gonna get one soon so i can gut my cats on my 3.4.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
skillet_83 is on a distinguished road
Army: I practice OPSEC =P
Name: Anthony
skillet_83's Tacoma Gallery
o2 sim just sends a false signal to your ecu that way you won't get a CEL... it's very common with long tubes and test pipes. Costs around 130 dollars. You could try an exhaust shop to see if they could fab up something to work with your 02 sensor that will move it further away from the stream... the URD is 100% garunteed though.

Worst case senario is your truck my retard timing a little to compensate... don't know how the tacoma ecu works though. I don't think it's gonna hurt anything though.