Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Heditating when givin gas?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
winyah is on a distinguished road
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
hesitating when givin gas?

hey guys new to the fourm and need some help figuring out whats wrong with my truck heres the problem:

My truck has been hesitating when you first press the gas it boggs down a little and then picks back up. It cut off on me twice when trying to go after stopped. Also ive noticed it doesnt have the power it normally does.

Ive cleaned 02 sensors but not replaced and sprayed up in the throttle body and put some seafoam in the gas tank nothin seems to be working any ideas? (its a 2000 tacoma)

thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
skillet_83 is on a distinguished road
Army: I practice OPSEC =P
Name: Anthony
skillet_83's Tacoma Gallery
it's a spark issue sounds like... so check your plugs and ignition system.

(going out on a limb but I'm guessing 1st gens don't have individual coilpacks... so to check things out do the following)

first pull the wire away from the coilpack (with truck running) about a 1/4 inch. You should see a blue/copper spark jumping. If one looks weaker than the others or if they aren't really strong might need some new coilpacks.

check wires for any cracks from age or white spots from heat

check plugs... look for any oil... black carbon build up means runs rich (most cases stock vehicles with some decent milage on the same plugs have this problem) and white ends on your plugs and your running lean.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
i checked the plugs they look fine, but i might change them any way to see if that will work but I think its something else.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
check your iac(idle air control valve) valve...located under or beside the throttle body. you may need to clean or replace it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
check your iac(idle air control valve) valve...located under or beside the throttle body. you may need to clean or replace it.
brake cleaner for this?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
KRS1 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Boatswainmate (BM1)
KRS1's Tacoma Gallery
i am not all that familiar with 2000 tacomas so forgive me if i am wrong... but i had a similar problem with my old GMC 1500.... i troubleshot the issue and discovered it was the distributor and distributor cap...... its where all your spark plug wires come together and meet and a little dial if you will spins around and makes sure all the cylindars fire in order as long as everything else is good to go...i.e. wires and plugs... check for corrosion.... if the connection points are not clean then the effecte cylindars will not fire properly..... causing the engine to "bogg" down when the gas is pressed
Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet_83 View Post
it's a spark issue sounds like... so check your plugs and ignition system.

(going out on a limb but I'm guessing 1st gens don't have individual coilpacks... so to check things out do the following)
Some do some don't. Cali Emission vehicles have a coil pack per cylinder where the Fed emissions ones shared a coil pack. (for the 2.4/2.7 anyway 1st gen. I think the 3.4l was the same also.)
Old 03-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
i am not all that familiar with 2000 tacomas so forgive me if i am wrong... but i had a similar problem with my old GMC 1500.... i troubleshot the issue and discovered it was the distributor and distributor cap...... its where all your spark plug wires come together and meet and a little dial if you will spins around and makes sure all the cylindars fire in order as long as everything else is good to go...i.e. wires and plugs... check for corrosion.... if the connection points are not clean then the effecte cylindars will not fire properly..... causing the engine to "bogg" down when the gas is pressed
No distributor on his truck. It's controlled by the ECU and crank sensor.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
You're dumber than stupid.
garage_monkey is just really nicegarage_monkey is just really nicegarage_monkey is just really nicegarage_monkey is just really nicegarage_monkey is just really nice

garage_monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check your fuel filter?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage_monkey View Post

+1 when was the last time you changed it?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage_monkey View Post
Yea cleaned it out yesterday still having the same problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by winyah View Post
Yea cleaned it out yesterday still having the same problem.
How exactly did you clean it?

You'll get far better performance from a new filter than one that's been cleaned. You can't possibly get all the dirt out of a used filter unless it was designed to be cleaned (and they are not). Not saying this will be the answer to your problems, but you can't go wrong with a 'new' filter.

Have you run fuel injector cleaner?

How's you air filter?

MAF sensor?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
How exactly did you clean it?

You'll get far better performance from a new filter than one that's been cleaned. You can't possibly get all the dirt out of a used filter unless it was designed to be cleaned (and they are not). Not saying this will be the answer to your problems, but you can't go wrong with a 'new' filter.

Have you run fuel injector cleaner?

How's you air filter?

MAF sensor?
x2.....fuel filters are meant to be replaced...no real way to clean all the built up crap outta them.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
No distributor on his truck. It's controlled by the ECU and crank sensor.
are you getting a good spark through your coils?

Tested your wires? http://www.ehow.com/how_2296047_test...-wire-car.html
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
well guys took it to the shop yesterday got it back today it was the MAF sensor. Cost $60 to fix bad thing is i took it off when i was working on it but didnt have any cleaner to clean it. They said all they did was clean it makes me feel bad now. Oh well its fixed guess thats all that matters.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #17

Marines:
That's cheaper than buying a new one. Glad you got it resolved.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
winyah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That's cheaper than buying a new one. Glad you got it resolved.
they the guy said i was lucky i didnt have to buy a new one said they were high!