Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

"To Supercharge or not to Supercharge - that is the question..."

View Poll Results: Supercharge or No Supercharge?
NO! Stick with the stock setup & be happy! 28 16.47%
YES! Who cares how much premium fuel costs? 142 83.53%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Talking "To Supercharge or not to Supercharge - that is the question..."

OK... Assume you can get a TRD unit for a 4.0L gen 2 for about $3000 or so and then get it "stealership" installed for $500.00 - I was quoted that $ by 2 different ones...
If you get it the performance is awesome, BUT now your stuck on filling up with premium fuel all the time...
I had a gen 1 Taco with a 1st. generation TRD Blower for 11 years & loved every minute of it. Now I'm driving a normaly aspirated gen 2 with a 4.0 & a 6 speen & although it's nice, the 3.4 in my 99 was much stronger...
What would you do????
THANK YOU!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Blade-Runner is on a distinguished road

Air Force: CATM NCOIC for AFMC Las Vegas, NV
Name: Kevin
Blade-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Just filled up today; here is my current prices in town:
17 Gallons X $2.70 = $45.90 (87 Octane)
17 Gallons X $3.00 = $51.00 (92 Octane)

Is an extra 5 bucks a tank worth the extra smile the supercharger brings to my face.......... Hell Ya!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Yea go for it, if putting in premium fuel is the only thing in your way then get it.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
If you re-tune to optimal closed loop performance, you might actually see an increase in MPG.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
If you re-tune to optimal closed loop performance, you might actually see an increase in MPG.
x2 as long as you exercise the right foot mod
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Do it!!!

Well worth the cost!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
PM k20me...he has it. Might be able to tell you more of his thoughts on it. I know just about every meet he goes too he is giving someone a ride to see how it feels. People always have a big smile when they come back and with the hood popped up it's a wonderful site to see.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Dan893 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Dan893's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dan893
I voted yes I plan on trd supercharging my 09
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Think Carefully if its your only transportation!

Here is my opinion, I supercharged my old 97 Taco, and it was nice for about 3 years, then everything kinda goes south. You start having all kinds of issues. First of all, when super charging you have to get rid of all the extra air that goes through the engine. And the huge raise in Exhaust gas temps. So you really have to start by putting on headers, then the catback system, then the super charger. Then a new intake to give the compressor the proper air. Then you run into fuel starvation at higher RPM's so you have to replace the fuel pump or add a seventh injector and a controller for that. It really comes down to making the truck back into a daily driver with a higher output. Like i said it takes its toll on the parts that were not designed for 300+ hp. Anyway good luck if you have the cash and second car that you can drive when you do have problems. Toyota's, are far better to supercharge than any American made motor, as the are really underrated from the factory to get the high reliability.

URDUSA is the place, and if you have any questions, ask for Brian Trager, or Gadget, they know there Shit for sure. I got everything from them when i did mine. But i won't do my new one, that is what the Corvette is for!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Here is my opinion, I supercharged my old 97 Taco, and it was nice for about 3 years, then everything kinda goes south. You start having all kinds of issues. First of all, when super charging you have to get rid of all the extra air that goes through the engine. And the huge raise in Exhaust gas temps. So you really have to start by putting on headers, then the catback system, then the super charger. Then a new intake to give the compressor the proper air. Then you run into fuel starvation at higher RPM's so you have to replace the fuel pump or add a seventh injector and a controller for that. It really comes down to making the truck back into a daily driver with a higher output. Like i said it takes its toll on the parts that were not designed for 300+ hp. Anyway good luck if you have the cash and second car that you can drive when you do have problems. Toyota's, are far better to supercharge than any American made motor, as the are really underrated from the factory to get the high reliability.

URDUSA is the place, and if you have any questions, ask for Brian Trager, or Gadget, they know there Shit for sure. I got everything from them when i did mine. But i won't do my new one, that is what the Corvette is for!!
I really appreciate the feedback rcbs204, I had the 1st get in my 99 & loved it - wanted to see what others had to say.
THANKS!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
http://www.youtube.com/user/XrunnIT

^^^ Don't you want to be able to do that??
Old 04-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade-Runner View Post
Just filled up today; here is my current prices in town:
17 Gallons X $2.70 = $45.90 (87 Octane)
17 Gallons X $3.00 = $51.00 (92 Octane)

Is an extra 5 bucks a tank worth the extra smile the supercharger brings to my face.......... Hell Ya!
I wish gas was that much here in Scottsdale
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
xsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: AL
xsvtoyz's Tacoma Gallery
love my sc I would not go back yes its a 3rz but its sooooo much fun compared to what it was. Do it and be happy. its not a race truck, just fun. $5 more at the pump is well worth the fact that when you want/need to go you actually can and dusting the neighbors Ranger v-6 priceless.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
If you think dusting a Ford Ranger 4.0 is a blast... then I guess do it.

But I say fuck no. Save that supercharger money and buy a damn sports car. Aren't SC like $5500?

I have my Taco and my '03 BMW M3. There's no way I SC the taco when it won't do anything close performance wise to the M.

(Pic of said M3)

Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
x2 as long as you exercise the right foot mod
Which negates the purpose of getting a supercharger
Old 04-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
Dan893 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Dan893's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dan893
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post

Hes right theres more to worry about than just spending extra at the pump but i still want to s/c my truck i guess we'll see when the time comes to actually buy it
Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #20
W7ldcard is on a distinguished road

W7ldcard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriZonaD54 View Post
If you think dusting a Ford Ranger 4.0 is a blast... then I guess do it.

But I say fuck no. Save that supercharger money and buy a damn sports car. Aren't SC like $5500?

I have my Taco and my '03 BMW M3. There's no way I SC the taco when it won't do anything close performance wise to the M.

(Pic of said M3)

I have a 500 whp Evo X and I still wanted to S/C my truck, feels good to mess with cars on the road :P