Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cold Air Intake

Old 04-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Manofs is on a distinguished road

Manofs's Tacoma Gallery
Cold Air Intake

Alright i have been doing some research and i am going to purchase a cold air intake, its just a matter of choosing which one i want. so far i have narrowed it down to
trueflow....pretty expensive but like the foam filter idea
volant....cheaper and is completely covered, not just some heat shield
TRD.....maybe, but dont know what it looks like under the hood, and
could not find any reviews on it.

so basically what i am asking is what do you all think? which one should i go for, if anyone has either of these cold air intakes please by all means lets here what you have to say. thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
This is the intake it got the K@N i like it and it makes a nice sound when you step into it.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-9025
Old 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
wrxed96 is on a distinguished road
wrxed96's Tacoma Gallery
I think the TRD by far looks the best. Probably not a whole lot of difference in the performance of any, but I'm sure someone will have something to say about URD. I would probably just get a Dry drop in filter, unless you just really want an intake.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxed96 View Post
I think the TRD by far looks the best. Probably not a whole lot of difference in the performance of any, but I'm sure someone will have something to say about URD. I would probably just get a Dry drop in filter, unless you just really want an intake.

X2 on the drop in filter.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofs View Post
Alright i have been doing some research and i am going to purchase a cold air intake, its just a matter of choosing which one i want. so far i have narrowed it down to
trueflow....pretty expensive but like the foam filter idea
volant....cheaper and is completely covered, not just some heat shield
TRD.....maybe, but dont know what it looks like under the hood, and
could not find any reviews on it.

so basically what i am asking is what do you all think? which one should i go for, if anyone has either of these cold air intakes please by all means lets here what you have to say. thanks
i own the volant CAI with a ram air setup. (pic in my gallery) i get a bout 1-2 extra mpg and more acceleration with my driving style.

also if you like the idea of a dry filter and want to go with a volant setup. volant makes a product called the Powercore filter.

just my experience hope that helped
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
X2 on the drop in filter.
x3! AFE Pro Dry drop in filter. Cost me $44 with free shipping, not $300+ for an intake. Stock intake system is pretty big already, and I've driven through enough water to know it won't suck water in (unlike a few complaints I've heard about other intakes). I also saw my mileage go from 17-18mpg to 20.2 and 20.3mpg over 3 tanks after putting in the AFE.

To me, that almost makes a K&N stupid (or any other oiled filter). I mean, the AFE is cheaper, AND you don't have buy oil to clean it. Just wash, dry, and reuse. Cheaper, easier, and no risk of fouling the MAF with extra oil.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
x3! AFE Pro Dry drop in filter. Cost me $44 with free shipping, not $300+ for an intake. Stock intake system is pretty big already, and I've driven through enough water to know it won't suck water in (unlike a few complaints I've heard about other intakes). I also saw my mileage go from 17-18mpg to 20.2 and 20.3mpg over 3 tanks after putting in the AFE.

To me, that almost makes a K&N stupid (or any other oiled filter). I mean, the AFE is cheaper, AND you don't have buy oil to clean it. Just wash, dry, and reuse. Cheaper, easier, and no risk of fouling the MAF with extra oil.
X4! ^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
iwc3714 will become famous soon enough
iwc3714's Tacoma Gallery
Love my trd cai. Looks perfect under the hood. Has a nice growl when the gas pedal is pressed down.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
ChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud of
ChibbMD's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone list the part number for the AFE drop in filter for an 07 4.0L V6. On their website I can only find matches for L4-2.7L 05-06. They also had a plain one and one with Pro Dry S. Which one of these is the right one??
Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Where'd you guys get your Pro Dry S from?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
Where'd you guys get your Pro Dry S from?
When I bought mine from here it was $44 with free shipping.

They must have had them mispriced at that time.

http://www.ultimatetruck.com/product...93&model=21226

From the Manufacturer

https://www.shopatron.com/product/pr...31-10114/534.0
Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
Can someone list the part number for the AFE drop in filter for an 07 4.0L V6. On their website I can only find matches for L4-2.7L 05-06. They also had a plain one and one with Pro Dry S. Which one of these is the right one??
AFE dry drop in OEM style is part #31-10114 fits the 4.0 V6 for 2005-08.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #13

Manofs's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone seen how awesome the true flow XDI cold air intake looks like

http://www.trueflow.com/xdi.php
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
hail-bop Command is on a distinguished road

hail-bop Command's Tacoma Gallery
Man I just cant get over that plastic setup from TRD, Booooooo! Aesthetics play a big role in vehicle modification and the TRD "Cold Air Setup" falls short and the price is out of the question.

I went with a K&N "Cold Air Setup" and it was okay..... So I switched it out for a URD and I noticed a difference that I felt was worth the time and effort it took to get it and install it.

I know someone said that someone else would mention URD so I guess that someone was right.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #15

HKS was making foam intakes from way back in the day.... I dont think it was to successful because I didnt really see them around for long.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #16

One downside to the URD that no has mentioned (That I know of) is that the body of the Intake covers your brake fluid resevoir.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #17

Manofs's Tacoma Gallery
also the downside for the URD is, its not covered, the rain is going to get all over the filter
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofs View Post
also the downside for the URD is, its not covered, the rain is going to get all over the filter
Thats not true... But if it does make you feel any better you can buy a K&N dry air charger.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #19
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hail-bop Command View Post
Man I just cant get over that plastic setup from TRD, Booooooo! Aesthetics play a big role in vehicle modification and the TRD "Cold Air Setup" falls short and the price is out of the question.
Speaking of aesthetics, your avatar is really freaking me out.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #20
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hail-bop Command View Post
Thats not true... But if it does make you feel any better you can buy a K&N dry air charger.
Actually, I've heard of at least 1 person on Toyotanation (living in Texas, of all places) that sucked water into his engine through a URD WITH the dry air charger. Massive rain storms all day long for a few days, standing water on the road ways, and water poured out the intake tube when he took the filter off IIRC. So it's not bullet proof, and it WILL pull in water being that it is in front of the radiator with no real protection. Driving though rain, standing water splashing up.... Bound to happen eventually.