Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What Air Filter Should come with TRD pkg?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
What Air Filter Should come with TRD pkg?

Just bought a 2008 Dbl Cab that has the V6 and has the TRD Sport package. I was told by a co-worker that the TRD package should include a K & N Air filter, but that doesn't appear to be the case when I pulled it today to look at it. It appears to be a regular air filter.

Which one should it come with?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
Just bought a 2008 Dbl Cab that has the V6 and has the TRD Sport package. I was told by a co-worker that the TRD package should include a K & N Air filter, but that doesn't appear to be the case when I pulled it today to look at it. It appears to be a regular air filter.

all the trucks,as far as i know,come with regular cotton air filters. unless you have a trd intake......you should have a normal filter(trd intake is aftermarket).
Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Which ever one you feel like buying. All Toyota's come with OEM filters.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
all the trucks,as far as i know,come with regular cotton air filters. unless you have a trd intake......you should have a normal filter(trd intake is aftermarket).
Is it possible and beneficial to use a K&N without the TRD intake?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it possible and beneficial to use a K&N without the TRD intake?
honestly.....k&n are ok, but i think an aem dryflow drop in filter would be more beneficial, plus its not an oiled filter.....so all you have to do once in a while is clean it and put it back in.

but yes.....drop in high flow filters are fine, and can be actually better than a full intake upgrade.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with a dry drop in filter instead of an oiled filter like the K&N. If you don't properly maintain the oiled filter, you can develop problems with your MAF sensor.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I'd go with a dry drop in filter instead of an oiled filter like the K&N. If you don't properly maintain the oiled filter, you can develop problems with your MAF sensor.
I agree with Isocoee on this, I had the k & N on my 98 Taco and it messed up my MAF and made my truck run like crap. I had to take the MAF off and clean it, I am planing on getting a AFE drop in for my truck.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Going in for an oil change and a check up today. And thanks to you guys I'll be snagging an AFE filter and ripping out the secondary on the way home.

Then tomorrow she goes up on jacks, we rip everything out of the wheel wells and put in the goods

I keep hinting at shrockworks rock sliders for my birthday but I don't know if anyone is listening.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
sako243 is on a distinguished road
sako243's Tacoma Gallery
go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and read up on the test he did with air filters. he rates the napa gold air filter the best he tested dont buy the k&n it has a lot of air restruction.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Pepsi
Playz will become famous soon enoughPlayz will become famous soon enough

Playz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Playz Send a message via Yahoo to Playz
I really don't know why so many people are opposed to KNN. I have them on my cars and trucks and never had a problem and noticed a slight increase. I won't use anything but KNN That's just me though.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i just got my K&N installed and it is great, get K&N you get a shit load of more power and sound its worth the money, check out my pics to see the airintake system
Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playz View Post
I really don't know why so many people are opposed to KNN. I have them on my cars and trucks and never had a problem and noticed a slight increase. I won't use anything but KNN That's just me though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
Yeah i just got my K&N installed and it is great, get K&N you get a shit load of more power and sound its worth the money, check out my pics to see the airintake system
I've had K&N products on several vehicles over the years. Never had any problem with over oiling and sensor problems. They were all the OEM drop in type and all seemed to make the vehicle somewhat more responsive after install.

I just went with the AFE dry oil free version because it actually cost less than K&N for filter alone and not having to also buy the oil. Read Lazy anyway I really like the way the truck runs with this AFE.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
get K&N you get a shit load of more power
Oh, really? Have you seen one on a dyno? Have you seen how much CFM the stock intake after the MAF flows with one? I have. Your "shit load of more power" more often than not results in no more power. Best case I have seen with an intake like these is 5 h.p. And that was when it was getting fresh air, not air from under the hood ( which is hot, by the way). The K&N We put on a 3.4 lost 4 h.p. Yes, lost. The stock intake track after the MAF with the K & N system flows within 1% of the stock system with a stock filter. If you buy a K & N filter or FIPK, you do so to be able to clean and reuse the filter. I have seen no aother advantage.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Oh, really? Have you seen one on a dyno? Have you seen how much CFM the stock intake after the MAF flows with one? I have. Your "shit load of more power" more often than not results in no more power. Best case I have seen with an intake like these is 5 h.p. And that was when it was getting fresh air, not air from under the hood ( which is hot, by the way). The K&N We put on a 3.4 lost 4 h.p. Yes, lost. The stock intake track after the MAF with the K & N system flows within 1% of the stock system with a stock filter. If you buy a K & N filter or FIPK, you do so to be able to clean and reuse the filter. I have seen no aother advantage.
I've read many of these same results. I use the OEM drop in type and on this 08 to my way of thinking it is a semi-CAI and did feel somewhat more responsive than stock with the AFE oil free. Even more so after adding the Dynomax muffler recently. I'll never have it on a Dyno but if nothing else I've got a cleanable reuseable filter for the cost of 2 Toyota OEM type filters.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #15
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 987 CC R100R twin opposed BMW bike in So Cal. I need a ride if I fly there.
On the dealers advice, I put a K &N air filter and Trapp exhaust on it after my first svc..
I was going to double plug it, like a real engine `till I learned the cost.
My paper work is 2,000 miles away with the bike. But the dyno said that I gained a lot of HP, not that you can`t kill yourself with stock, and the mileage went from 50 to 65.
The throttle return spring was a pain and removed. But you need to take care. A twist of the wrist gets a result. It is much less forgiving than a hog.
I have scared myself on that bike.
I`m riding a 400 CC one lunger around the farm. It has a lot of low end torque. I expect to dump it any day.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
But the dyno said that I gained a lot of HP,
You can gain power when useing a K&N filter. At the price of filter efficiency. ALso, motorcycle filters are small, they have to be able to fit in a small space, thus a K&N on a motorcycle can show a decent increase in h.p.. Since cars/trucks have larger filters ( as they have more room, and are driven on average more miles ) that flow much more cfm, a K&N filter doesnt give the same % of an increase. In most cases, the intake after the MAF is the more restrictive part of the system.