Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

does the inlet/outlet size on a muffler matter?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
does the inlet/outlet size on a muffler matter?

I found me a nice Flowmaster 40 series muffler but it's not a 2.25" inlet/outlet, will the sound be louder or will it stay the same since my stock piping is 2.25"?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Loving this
Jap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to behold
Jap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
I found me a nice Flowmaster 40 series muffler but it's not a 2.25" inlet/outlet, will the sound be louder or will it stay the same since my stock piping is 2.25"?
Should stay the same, depending on the actual size.
What are the inlet/outlet sizes?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Loving this
Jap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to behold
Jap's Tacoma Gallery
It'll be fine.
Difference will be negligible.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
this one is the 40 series, don't think it will be that loud.
I had a 3" on my Blazer (I think it was a 44, I for a fact it was a Flowmaster though, it said on the muffler), got a fix it ticket but it was only due to everything being 3" already as well as me shortening the outlet pipe. lol when I was getting ti smogged, the smog person got mad that it was short, so he had me climb under and put that weird thing in the pipe. Even though it's 3" inlet/outlet on the muffler, I want to keep the piping stock (which is 2.25" for both inlet piping and outlet piping).
I may add in a tip but I have to see how it sounds overall before doing so.