Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Anybody running AFE cold air intake with Banks monster exhaust?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
fishinsteeg234 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
fishinsteeg234's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody running AFE cold air intake with Banks monster exhaust?

i have the AFE cai on my 06' prerunner 4.0 and was thinking about buying an exhaust. leaning towards the banks monster, but what do you think? Does a CAI go well with a certain exhaust?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Well both with a MAF calibrator will make for a decent gain.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
fishinsteeg234 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
fishinsteeg234's Tacoma Gallery
MAF calibrator huh? what kind MAF would work best? recommend?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinsteeg234 View Post
AFE Intake is a good set up. I recommend the SI edition with dry filter.

On the other hand Banks exhaust is full 3" mandrel bent cat back system. I would not recommend going this route unless you plan on installing a SC. you will loose too much back pressure if not running a blower.

Stick with a good 2.5" Magnaflow, or something like the Aero turbine 2.5".
just have a shop cut out stock muffler and weld in new one. No need for a full cat back unless you prefer stainless steel piping and madrel bends...

Just a thought.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
AFE Intake is a good set up. I recommend the SI edition with dry filter.

On the other hand Banks exhaust is full 3" mandrel bent cat back system. I would not recommend going this route unless you plan on installing a SC. you will loose too much back pressure if not running a blower.

Stick with a good 2.5" Magnaflow, or something like the Aero turbine 2.5".
just have a shop cut out stock muffler and weld in new one. No need for a full cat back unless you prefer stainless steel piping and madrel bends...

Just a thought.
I run the Banks system. Seat of the pants tells me I didn't lose low end. I thought I was going to lose some but nothing that I can feel. Of course I don't have a dyno sheet to prove my opinion but I think that 3" very close to too big but not actually too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinsteeg234 View Post
Not MAF just MAF calibrator. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198051
Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I run the Banks system. Seat of the pants tells me I didn't lose low end. I thought I was going to lose some but nothing that I can feel. Of course I don't have a dyno sheet to prove my opinion but I think that 3" very close to too big but not actually too big.
Good to know, then it should be perfect for my set up. I was going by rule of thumb as far as piping diameter. [/quote]

Not MAF just MAF calibrator. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=126019805 1[/quote]

This product is a great, but if you can afford it I would go this route:

http://www.aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Good to know, then it should be perfect for my set up. I was going by rule of thumb as far as piping diameter.l
Well maybe the Banks kit with long tubes will cause you to lose backpressure. I want to run this setup in the future so I hope I don't lose low end power. If I do I'll just have to throw a blower on.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well maybe the Banks kit with long tubes will cause you to lose backpressure. I want to run this setup in the future so I hope I don't lose low end power. If I do I'll just have to throw a blower on.
Hmmm,,,,

Sounds like a familiar plan...

F/I FTW...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
centraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

centraltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Try areo turbine exhust with the free flow cat. Sounds awesome and with the AFE combo you will get 24hp +/- a couple. It is what I run on mine and the power pick up was noticable and it dyno'd at +24hp.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Enjoying my addiction

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraltaco View Post
Try areo turbine exhust with the free flow cat. Sounds awesome and with the AFE combo you will get 24hp +/- a couple. It is what I run on mine and the power pick up was noticable and it dyno'd at +24hp.
Not to play devils advocate, but do you have any slips or print outs you could post. Those are big numbers for just intake and exh. I know the Aero turbine is a pretty good muffler, but wow... Was this Dyno pull with just the mods you stated. And was it an N/A or F/I motor???

Sorry, just want to know whats working and whats not...

Laters...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Free flow cats are a joke. They flow about the same or a tiny bit more than stock. The reason people swear by them is because usually they have a plugged cat and they replace it with a high flow so they gain the power back from having a clogged cat. I used to believe they really freed up power but over the years I have learned what is really going on.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
centraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedcentraltaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

centraltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Free flow cats are a joke. They flow about the same or a tiny bit more than stock. The reason people swear by them is because usually they have a plugged cat and they replace it with a high flow so they gain the power back from having a clogged cat. I used to believe they really freed up power but over the years I have learned what is really going on.

Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but the truck is 3 months old. So no plugged cat. I did the same to my '04 DC and had similar results.

I will get a pic of the dyno sheet and post asap.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but the truck is 3 months old. So no plugged cat. I did the same to my '04 DC and had similar results.

I will get a pic of the dyno sheet and post asap.
What bubble?

I'm interested in seeing this "dyno sheet" you have.