Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2010 Supercharger "odd" sound?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
usmctopgun is a glorious beacon of lightusmctopgun is a glorious beacon of lightusmctopgun is a glorious beacon of lightusmctopgun is a glorious beacon of lightusmctopgun is a glorious beacon of lightusmctopgun is a glorious beacon of light
Marines: Gunnery Sergeant
usmctopgun's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Supercharger "odd" sound?

Anyone had any problems with S/C on their 2010? Mine is making an obnoxious squeaking/squealing sound? Before anyone chimes in and says this is normal, IT IS NOT. Sound wasn't there until after about a month after install. Dealer has had it for several days, but it has them somewhat baffled. It appears to be coming from the big pulley on the lower portion of the engine that drives the S/C. Only starts sounding funny after running for a minute or so, but then it is continuous until shutdown. Ideas?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Have they attempted to replace the pulley?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a bad pulley to me?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
The lower pulley they put on has no bearings in it. It has a groove that lines up with the existing crank pulley. If its in fact coming from that they either installed it wrong or its not tight enough. There is a small idler pulley right next to the crank that has a bearing which also could be a problem. Mine on occasion when I start it up makes noise, but goes away after a few seconds.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctopgun View Post
They took off all pulleys, hand spun them, nothing. Sound occurs at idle, worsens w/ acceleration.
the bearing wont make any noise unless it is loaded, hand spinning them may not tell you anything unless they are really toast

I would just change the idlers and see if that fixes it

there really are not that many components that can be causing your problem

Justin
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
the bearing wont make any noise unless it is loaded, hand spinning them may not tell you anything unless they are really toast

I would just change the idlers and see if that fixes it

there really are not that many components that can be causing your problem

Justin

Agreed, hand spinning doesn't tell you shit about bearing/belt/pulley interaction under load/tension...since it worsens with acceleration/engine load, it sounds either belt or bearing related. Something in there doesn't like to move faster.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Loving this
Jap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to behold
Jap's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a couple of things, i've run into a similar issue on another vehicle.

1. Could be the tensioner assembly squeaking as the arm moves.

2. Could be a faulty bearing.

The sound will be a dead give away.
Is it a constant 'howling' or 'squealing' sound or does it change in relation to load on the engine?