Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust Turn Down

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Turn Down

So I'm putting on a flowmaster super 44 tomorrow...but I can't decide if I want to dump it down after the muffler or run it back to the stock location behind the tire. Anyone have experience with this? I'm leaning towards the turn down but want to get an idea of how both are first
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
turn down so it cant get caught on stuff on the trail!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the best place to cut it?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
right after axle
Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have mine cut right behind the axle.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
turn down so it cant get caught on stuff on the trail!
Thats what I leaning towards ha. IMO sounds meaner and looks cleaner. but wanted to get some feedback too. What do you think about cutting it infront of the axle??
Old 04-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Heard the exhaust fumes will filter into the cab more if you do that
Old 04-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Loving this
Jap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to beholdJap is a splendid one to behold
Jap's Tacoma Gallery
It's always good to get exhaust fumes out and away from under the car.
However if you feel like you must 'dump' it at the diff, just after or wherever, make sure the downturn is substantial enough to actually divert the gas away from the body.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
#1 Member
Tacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud of

Name: Hunter
Tacofanatic05''s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
right after axle
x2 this is what i would do, if i was going to off road!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
Bobby311 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
Bobby311's Tacoma Gallery
I have my 40 series dumped in front of the rear axle and do not have any problems with exhaust fumes in my cab and I love the sound of it.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
Ruizbr is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
Ruizbr's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my chevy 1500 and a Banks exhaust kit for my chevy 2500, both of them I had in the stock position, then went for a turn down, like you said it looks cleaner, and sound way better, sound bounced of pavement/road and gave a deeper note to the tone, about the same volume, if differed I couldn't tell. I also never experienced any problem with fumes getting to the cab, I dumped it after the axle on both trucks.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #12

ok I think I am going to do a turn down after that the axle then...I can always turn it down before the axle later if I want. and if i do do you think angling the turndown to the side a bit would help for exhaust fumes? Can't wait to get it in though I hope the super 44 is gonna sound good.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Bobby311 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
Bobby311's Tacoma Gallery
mine is angled straight down so that it bounches off of the road
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have an after market muffler, but i off road a lot and the tail pipe gets caught on everything. It getting beat up back there. My question is can i cut my pipe just passed the axle where it angle's down with the stock muffler on or will it mess something up? Just tired of it getting caught up back there.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
I dont have an after market muffler, but i off road a lot and the tail pipe gets caught on everything. It getting beat up back there. My question is can i cut my pipe just passed the axle where it angle's down with the stock muffler on or will it mess something up? Just tired of it getting caught up back there.
I dont think it will mess anything up...From what I've read the only problem with changing mufflers is less back pressure from an aftermarket muffler. And since you have the stock one its shouldn't really make a difference. will still have the right back presuure just not the annoying exhaust pipe hanging in the way
Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
I dont think it will mess anything up...From what I've read the only problem with changing mufflers is less back pressure from an aftermarket muffler. And since you have the stock one its shouldn't really make a difference. will still have the right back pressure just not the annoying exhaust pipe hanging in the way
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05offroad View Post
I dont think it will mess anything up...From what I've read the only problem with changing mufflers is less back pressure from an aftermarket muffler. And since you have the stock one its shouldn't really make a difference. will still have the right back pressure just not the annoying exhaust pipe hanging in the way
I didnt think so, what's up bro? lets hit the trails asap? I posted a thread called "Nothings happening in San Diego"
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #18

Quote:
I didnt think so, what's up bro? lets hit the trails asap? I posted a thread called "Nothings happening in San Diego"
Hey whats up matt. that sounds good to me ha I've been wanting to go explore la posta more after you and doug went up there but school and work have been keeping me busy lately. There was talk of a corral canyon run but I guess its not happening now . You have the weekends off and then monday tuesday right??
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Ainokea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05offroad View Post
Hey whats up matt. that sounds good to me ha I've been wanting to go explore la posta more after you and doug went up there but school and work have been keeping me busy lately. There was talk of a corral canyon run but I guess its not happening now . You have the weekends off and then monday tuesday right??
Yes that is correct, call me anytime at home or cell. Home#473-8185 and cell# 322-7606
Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
braaap

Hey, here's a pic of my set up: