LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Kerosene Seafoam

Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Buffalofan is on a distinguished road

Buffalofan's Tacoma Gallery
Kerosene Seafoam

I was at Advanced Auto Parts today and they guy told me about Kerosene Seafoam and that he uses it every third oil change. He said to pour it into the engine oil and run the truck for 10 minutes before performing the oil change.

He said if you have never done it before you will probably see a whole bunch of gunk come out. He did not recommend it for engines with 100+ k miles because the gunk could actully be keeping the seals together and by removing it, it would cause a huge problem.

My 2001 Taco only has 67,000 miles on it. I use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic and change my oil every 3k, so I was thinking of trying it.

Any of you engineers out ther have an pros or cons for me?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's called Kerosene SeaFoam? Does it look like the bottle below? I've used it many times in all of my cars and it's great stuff.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Are you sure it's called Kerosene SeaFoam? Does it look like the bottle below? I've used it many times in all of my cars and it's great stuff.

I did not see what it was but they guy called it SeaFoam (wasn't sure how he was spelling it) but said it was a kerosene based product.

So you have not had any issues? I get nervous putting stuff in my cars without getting a good word from people.

Thanks for the good word.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No issues, just follow the directions carefully on the bottle. You can drop some in your gas tank, motor oil, and you can use the PCV or brake booster hose to suck it up to help clean your engine. Take a look at the threads below for some great tips before your start.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...even-idle.html

http://customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101166
http://customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79051
http://customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60465
Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #5

I checked out the video and pics from one of the links you sent me. I can't believe the smoke you get. I can just hear my neighbors complain, as our home are packed as close as sardines in a can.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
bite me

Yeah, the smoke is the crap being burned off from the inside.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Budisweiser is on a distinguished road
Budisweiser's Tacoma Gallery
seafoam

This is truely great stuff. I use it in all my vehicles as a fuel stabilizer and decarber. Lawnmower, motorcycle, bass boat. I didn't even winterize my boat this year (kansas) just used the seafoam in the tank/fuel system when storing. She fired right up this year....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds kinda like Marvel Mystery Oil which I have used in the past in other vehicles and have friends that still use it in their tanks today
Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #9

So the Advanced Auto Parts guy said the day I am doing the oil change to pour the whole bottle into the engine oil and run the care for 10-20 minutes, then change the oil as usual.

Does this sound right?..as I do not want to damange anything.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
bite me

I wouldn't put the whole bottle, just follow what's on the can.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalofan View Post
So the Advanced Auto Parts guy said the day I am doing the oil change to pour the whole bottle into the engine oil and run the care for 10-20 minutes, then change the oil as usual.

i wouldnt add the entire bottle......just go by the instructions, use half the bottle thre your brake booster line, a 3rd in your oil, then a third in the gas tank, run for a while, then change your oil.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Jeez no! Half a can at the most. Idle for about 5 mins. Throw a full can into the gas tank and top it off. Great for cleaning out the fuel system.

Quote:

Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i wouldnt add the entire bottle......just go by the instructions, use half the bottle thre your brake booster line, a 3rd in your oil, then a third in the gas tank, run for a while, then change your oil.
I am not very hands on with truck/car stuff. I can just do the regular maintenance stuff. I get nervous when I read about slowly adding it the brake booster or a vacuum line, hell I don't even know where those are at anyway...I am not sure how to add it slowly to a tube anyway.

Would I be able to get away with just adding it to the engine oil and gas tank?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I am not very hands on with truck/car stuff. I can just do the regular maintenance stuff. I get nervous when I read about slowly adding it the brake booster or a vacuum line, hell I don't even know where those are at anyway...I am not sure how to add it slowly to a tube anyway.

Would I be able to get away with just adding it to the engine oil and gas tank?

oh yeah, you can do that. its really easy to add it to the brake booster line though.....under hood driver side, big round thing with a hose going to it(hose goes to the intake), just pull the hose off and stick the hose a litle into the can of seafoam. the truck will try to cut off......pull hose back a bit, then repeat till half the can is gone. let it sit for a few minutes, then crank her up and get ready to dessimate mosquitos. when you crank it back up.....rev it a bit, you will clean all that carbon build up from the intake and all.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
oh yeah, you can do that. its really easy to add it to the brake booster line though.....under hood driver side, big round thing with a hose going to it(hose goes to the intake), just pull the hose off and stick the hose a litle into the can of seafoam. the truck will try to cut off......pull hose back a bit, then repeat till half the can is gone. let it sit for a few minutes, then crank her up and get ready to dessimate mosquitos. when you crank it back up.....rev it a bit, you will clean all that carbon build up from the intake and all.
Sounds easy enough, but one more question...do I the brake booster first and add the rest to the engine oil and gas tank or vice versa?

I really appreciate all you help and advice!!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Sounds easy enough, but one more question...do I the brake booster first and add the rest to the engine oil and gas tank or vice versa?

I really appreciate all you help and advice!!
yeah....i usually go for the brake booster line first, half a can, then add the rest to the gas tank. i never add it to my oil(i run synthetic, so i dont really need it in there).....but you should have no problems putting some in your oil.......just be sure to change your oil and filter soon after doing so, and i'd probably go ahead and change the fuel filter too.....if you havent done it in a while.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #17

Quote:
yeah....i usually go for the brake booster line first, half a can, then add the rest to the gas tank. i never add it to my oil(i run synthetic, so i dont really need it in there).....but you should have no problems putting some in your oil.......just be sure to change your oil and filter soon after doing so, and i'd probably go ahead and change the fuel filter too.....if you havent done it in a while.
I have run synthetic for the life of the truck , maybe i don't need to add it to the oil either.

If you don't add it to you oil do then I imagine you can do this procedure anyting without having to change the oil.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:
I have run synthetic for the life of the truck , maybe i don't need to add it to the oil either.

If you don't add it to you oil do then I imagine you can do this procedure anyting without having to change the oil.
well, not really, cause its cleaning your intake, thus a small amount will end up in your oil. if you have been running synthetic for the life of your truck.....i would say there is no need to add it to the oil. just my thoughts though.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Heres a stupid question, when you finish putting in half the can do you reconnect the brake booster line and let it sit until you crank her up again?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Heres a stupid question, when you finish putting in half the can do you reconnect the brake booster line and let it sit until you crank her up again?
yeah, as soon as you get half the bottle in thru the brake booster line....go ahead and reconnect the line.