Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Is there a point to buy a High-Flow CAT?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
Question Is there a point to buy a High-Flow CAT?

I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my 2001 Tacoma. It sounds good, it isnt that loud, but it sounds really good. No rasp, pretty deep, and sounds like a truck. Not a fart can.

Will I gain any performance or volume with a high-flow CAT?

Any personal stories about them?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
NewHere
PacNWgen1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
PacNWgen1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
no personal experience, but i'd guess you wouldn't see any performance change, but would probably get some volume
Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Most people that think they gain power don't realize that if they are replacing a bad cat they will gain power either way. I'd only use a high flow cat on a performance engine.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
I have a high flow cat on my 91 toy. Never noticed a difference
Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM Toyota cats flow very well. Virtually no restriction until you go into the force inducted world.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The OEM Toyota cats flow very well. Virtually no restriction until you go into the force inducted world.
Even then, they still flow pretty well.

Unless you start pushing alot of volume, or start running a rich AFR, no need to do anything with the rear cats. Front cats should be replaced with headers if possible.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
off topic question in relation to this thread (i apologize), but isn't there a sensor screwed in to the header/first cat assembly (i can't remember if it's before or part of the y-pipe)? when you get new headers, do they have a tapped hole for the sensor?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking of running a couple of high flow cats in my dual exhaust, to cut down on the exhaust smell.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnall4u View Post
I'm thinking of running a couple of high flow cats in my dual exhaust, to cut down on the exhaust smell.
Would be a good idea. Just need to keep an eye on ur afr. Too rich and u risk melting the cats.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
off topic question in relation to this thread (i apologize), but isn't there a sensor screwed in to the header/first cat assembly (i can't remember if it's before or part of the y-pipe)? when you get new headers, do they have a tapped hole for the sensor?
No. The long tube and shorties both come with a bung welded in already.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I've not heard it called a high flow cat, I have heard free flow cat, which in terms may be the same thing. I was at a muffler shop and the man was looking at my cat and he told me mine looked old and could be clogged, its all rusty. Well he suggested a free flow cat, with has the outside shell of a cat, but just a straight pipe running through it. So in NC it will still pass inspection. He told me that there wouldn't be a hp gain, if there was it wouldn't be noticable. Also he told me that he runs one on everything he has because he says it gives much better air flow causing him to get better mpg. On the downside this may not be true he may have just been trying to sell a product to make money. But IMHO, in theory you would think just a straight pipe would cause louder exhaust, everytime air goes through a cat or a bend in the pipe it deafens it causing it to be quieter. SO in theory you automatically think this would work to cause your muffler to be louder, also better flow of air imo would cause better mpg. I too have a 40 series on my V6, and I too have considered putting one of these cats on.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at these, claim to flow better than some mufflers?
http://www.randomtechnology.com/
Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
Ok, I've not heard it called a high flow cat, I have heard free flow cat, which in terms may be the same thing. I was at a muffler shop and the man was looking at my cat and he told me mine looked old and could be clogged, its all rusty. Well he suggested a free flow cat, with has the outside shell of a cat, but just a straight pipe running through it. So in NC it will still pass inspection. He told me that there wouldn't be a hp gain, if there was it wouldn't be noticable. Also he told me that he runs one on everything he has because he says it gives much better air flow causing him to get better mpg. On the downside this may not be true he may have just been trying to sell a product to make money. But IMHO, in theory you would think just a straight pipe would cause louder exhaust, everytime air goes through a cat or a bend in the pipe it deafens it causing it to be quieter. SO in theory you automatically think this would work to cause your muffler to be louder, also better flow of air imo would cause better mpg. I too have a 40 series on my V6, and I too have considered putting one of these cats on.
Your forgetting about backpressure. An engine needs backpressure to make power down low since the exhaust pulses of the other cylinders will pull exhaust out of the cylinder with the open exhaust valve. On race engines it doesn't matter since you are racing. You won't gain anything by wasting your money on a "high flow" cat unless your stock cat is plugged.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #15
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
^^ agreed, mines pretty cruddy looking, thats why I was considering it.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
Even then, they still flow pretty well.

Unless you start pushing alot of volume, or start running a rich AFR, no need to do anything with the rear cats. Front cats should be replaced with headers if possible.
Lots of good posts in this thread already.

The gain for the vast majority would be minimal if any. The only way to really know is to dyno run before and after. The increase would likely be small in the peak VE are of the engine. (Volumetric efficiency) Not likely to be felt with a "butt dyno".

Like XrunnIT says, sometimes a vehicle is pushed for power and boosted applications want to let parts out if they get lean. During had pulls, you will see tuner jockeys take AFR down into the 12:1 range from the normal 14.65:1 range for safety of the engine. You can see this done with cats on the vehicle as long as cruise AFR is close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
What he is talking about is a "test pipe" in a disguised shell. These have been illegal for street use for years. I know many people do this, but thought is was worth mentioning for those that would like to know.

With the new rules for cats on vehicles, the old way of putting a cat on based on size alone is getting more and more restricted. If a test pipe is installed there will be the need for a sensor simulator or other device to keep the MIL/CEL off. Those that sell them put strong notes on about them being "for off road use only" for a reason. The fines, if you happen to be the target of an enforcement action are not small.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
That's a fact Jack!

Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think that it would be worth it to put one of these on??? I mean I know that you don't really gain anything, but if I was to put one on would it hurt my truck in any way???
Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
I'm reviving this thread instead of creating my own. I basically have the same questions that don't really appear to be answered fully hear (Though great insight)

2003 5vz-fe. 105k miles. Gibson 55112S muffler. Deckplate mod.

I will be installing a new front O2 and a URD sim as my CEL has been on throwing p0420 and p0135 (from memory, might not be 135... but something about no voltage to rear o2-yes i know i may need to replace this O2 as well but thought i'd see if the sim works and i'd get it anyway so...)

I'm about 100% sure my cats are shot/plugged. Trucks been getting 16mpgs with a 50/50 mix of city highway on my 15 mile commute lately. Feel like it's running 'wet' or bogged.

I'm looking at replacing the cats and there are a couple configurations out there that i'm looking at. I live in MN so no inspections, but have no interest in deleting both cats.

The way i see it, my options are:

This in the front:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...Seller#reviews

or this:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

Has anyone had exp. with either company?

Then either replace the 2nd cat with a 'test pipe' or slap in another 'high-flow' cat for ~$100 - I think i'd prefer to keep two cats even if they're high flow...

or

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
No Road. No Problem.
03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough

Name: Alex
03TRDtacotrucker's Tacoma Gallery
Don't mean to thread jack, but didn't feel the need to open a new one since this is already up and going.
I have an 03 double cab on 35's and a 6" lift. installed a TRD supercharger and just had it tuned with an ECU MAP 3 running a URD 7th injector. truck runs like crap as far as power goes feels like im towing a boat everywhere I go. after reading a lot of posts online im starting to think that maybe my cats are plugged which may be causing my power issue. was Wondering what hi flow cats people recommend for this setup or if the 35" tires are whats just causing my power issue?

Products Discussed in this Thread