Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Volant air intake question

Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Maintenance Man has a spectacular aura aboutMaintenance Man has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
Maintenance Man's Tacoma Gallery
Volant air intake question

Does anyone happen to know if the Volant air intake has a built in place to re-install the mass air flow sensor?

Thanks,

Maintenance Man
Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yes it does or else the engine would not run properly since the engine reads how much air is going into the engine. I have heard that this intake causes MAF readings because the location of the MAF is changed.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Maintenance Man has a spectacular aura aboutMaintenance Man has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yes it does or else the engine would not run properly since the engine reads how much air is going into the engine. I have heard that this intake causes MAF readings because the location of the MAF is changed.

Nice! Just wanted to make sure before I bought it, I ve heard stories of guys buying cai and there is no place for the sensor!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance Man View Post
Nice! Just wanted to make sure before I bought it, I ve heard stories of guys buying cai and there is no place for the sensor!
Maybe cheap ebay crap but not real companies that make real products.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Have you been pleased with yours? How is the sound? Classic intake sound?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Banned
Quote:
I don't own one. That picture is from Volant's website. I bought a TRD. The Volant box is a great design since it actually encloses the filter in a box. I have hear that it will make Tacoma's run rich but some have said they have no problems.

There is a scoop option: http://volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=460
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
I have it, I've been running it for about 2 years now and it hasn't tripped any sensors yet. Neither has my friends and he has that scoop attachment.

I think the intake sound is actually a tad louder than my Aero Turbine Muffler, but it's not too loud. I've been happy with it.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have it and i do have the intake sound at WOT.
I have been getting an CEL and its from my MAFS.
I just installed the URD Calibrator and I'm waiting to see if it fixed the problem.

But I don't know much about the 2.7 model cool air intake.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
have one and love it , but have the front hole capped, i want the ram air. sometimes i take off the front cap and it sound alot louder if your into that.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgerber View Post
sometimes i take off the front cap and it sound alot louder if your into that.
The problem with that is you turn your cold air intake into a hot air intake.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation I have had it for about a year now...

It does cause some issues. I had to aquire a special tune from Scott over at APR to program into my X-1. Since then all has been good. But I am thinking of moving on to the AFE SI Intake.... It's design specs are same as the TRD, and MAF sensor measurements are more accurate. And I am not taking any chances with a Blown motor...
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
ffpm46 is on a distinguished road
Army: 82 Airborne Division 2/504 PIR
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Volant system with CEL on

Hello, I just installed the Volant system, and my CEL and the Slippery Road light ( right under the CEL ) came on. What can I do to solve this. I am gonna call Volant today, but is there anything that doesn't require having to go to Toyota?

Also what do you think the best Exhuast system would be to compliment this intake. I love the Sound and performance from the intake. My friend said he could smell and see fuel mist, so maybe this is causing my truck to run rich....

If that were the case what could I do?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffpm46 View Post
Hello, I just installed the Volant system, and my CEL and the Slippery Road light ( right under the CEL ) came on. What can I do to solve this. I am gonna call Volant today, but is there anything that doesn't require having to go to Toyota?

Also what do you think the best Exhuast system would be to compliment this intake. I love the Sound and performance from the intake. My friend said he could smell and see fuel mist, so maybe this is causing my truck to run rich....

If that were the case what could I do?
Affordable = URD MAF Calibrator ($249ish)

The best bet but expensive = APR X-1 ($1395ish)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Affordable = URD MAF Calibrator ($249ish)

The best bet but expensive = APR X-1 ($1395ish)
Thank you!

I just called Toyota and they said that the can resent the computer ( the original MAF reading ) and this will auto calibrate for this Intake. $100.00.

Has anyone done this, I just don't want to waste my money if it isn't true.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt that reseting the computer will solve the problem.
All they will probably do is disconnect the battery for half an hour.
The CEL will go away but it will come back within 100 miles of driving.

You could read my post from above as I had the same problems. I talked to URD and they said that their calibrator will fix the issue.
I installed it and now it's not giving me any more problems.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
I just talked to Volant. Let me say they are extremely helpful! They said that they would send me out a brand new tube and gasket. That the MAF sensor insert seems to loose and that's where me problem lies. That coming from the Manufacturer... I will take there advise and hopefully that will solve the problem. After all it is a plug and play assembly.

Will keep you all posted
Old 05-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #17
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
I doubt that reseting the computer will solve the problem.
All they will probably do is disconnect the battery for half an hour.
The CEL will go away but it will come back within 100 miles of driving.

You could read my post from above as I had the same problems. I talked to URD and they said that their calibrator will fix the issue.
I installed it and now it's not giving me any more problems.

Was it hard to install. Just incase I have to go that route.... I didn't think the intake would cost 500.00+ .

Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
The problem you are having is that the Volant intake induces a significant amount of MAF sensor error.

The tube the MAF sensor is installed in is smaller than stock causing the same volume of air to pass the sensor at a higher velocity and this causes the MAF sensor to report more air entering the engine than there really is. This makes the ECU to want to inject to much fuel than it should.

When the ECU is operating in closed loop mode it will self correct for this as much as it can, but if it runs out of ability to do this, the ECU will set a check engine light.

In open loop that happens at and near full throttle in most cases there is no self correcting ability from the ECU and the AFR will be super pig rich.

You can correct for this by installing the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator. We have a program for the Volant intake and it will recalibrate the sensor to the new tube size and eliminate much of this problem.

We had one customer that did a before dyno with the Volant intake and then installed the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator and did an after dyno. He picked up 30 RWHP from the recalibration.

Volant is aware of this problem with their intake and still keep pushing them out on the market.

If you are going to keep it you really need to recalibrate the MAF sensor so things are more in sync.

Gadget
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #19
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed the URD MAF calibrator.

So far so good. The CEL is gone, it seems to be running better.

The install was a bit difficult, just due to the tight space to work. It didn't take that long, well worth it.

I can now enjoy the performance and sound of my Volant Intake.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about2010 trd sport has a spectacular aura about

2010 trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
Im so glad I found this thread. I had been considering the Volant intake and after reading the problems and post by Gadget I wont. For the cost of the Volant plus MAF sensor calibrator I think It might be better to just get the TRD cold air intake and not have any problems.