Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

P0420 came back!

Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
P0420 came back!

I just had this stupid code come back! Im getting super pised at it!
Im hoping its not a cat. because I or ready replaced my o2 sensors and I know I dont have a exhaust leak. So if it is the cat. what is the best one to get? And how much would a OEM one be?
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I just found a OEM replacement and I cant believe there freakin 800 buck! Well I need to find out what exactly is throughing the code....
Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Wow, I just found a OEM replacement and I cant believe there freakin 800 buck! Well I need to find out what exactly is throughing the code....
get you an o2 sensor sim and straight pipe if its the cat. the rear o2 sim should keep the cel off and make inspection good.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
+1 buy some DTLT and o2 sim from URD a lot cheaper! With some performance gains
Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #7

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking the same thing. If I just get the O2 sim. I will still have a bad cat and that will make my truck still run shitty and get crappy mileage right? Are you saying to delete one of the cats all together then weld in a straight pipe, and also get the simulator?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1 buy some DTLT and o2 sim from URD a lot cheaper! With some performance gains
x2.
You can get just the URD O2 sim and it will fool computer into thinking that the front cats are running normal and keep from tripping the sensor. That's why you need it with the long tubes since it removes the front cats. If you do go with the DTLT's make sure that you don't live in a state that requires you to pass emissions testing because some states won't allow you to run w/o both sets of cats.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #9

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I see, I see. And by the way guys Im a 1st. gen and have TRD headers and we only have 2 cats. The headers dont eliminate my cats. But Im starting to think that I have a bad cat. Im ganna have a buddy of mine run a dianostic on it and make sure its indeed a bad cat. Then figure out what Im ganna do.

But the O2 sim. sounds like a great solution. But wont I still have to replace my cat.?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I see, I see. And by the way guys Im a 1st. gen and have TRD headers and we only have 2 cats. The headers dont eliminate my cats. But Im starting to think that I have a bad cat. Im ganna have a buddy of mine run a dianostic on it and make sure its indeed a bad cat. Then figure out what Im ganna do.

But the O2 sim. sounds like a great solution. But wont I still have to replace my cat.?
straight pipe man. thats what im planning on doin sometime in the future.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OOPS, sorry didn't see that you're 1st gen. I've been moding my 09 so much I only think in second gen terms. Best thing to do is call Gadget at URD and talk to him and he may even cut you a deal. He and our chris4x4 are the gurus of the taco world.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #12

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
straight pipe man. thats what im planning on doin sometime in the future.
Well I have to have my cats bc of emissions. You ganna run no cats?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Well I have to have my cats bc of emissions. You ganna run no cats?
yeah....we dont have emmissions here. you can get a cat look alike tho to replace them........all it is is straight pipe thats a dummy cat....looks like a cat. converter on the outside. they'd never know the difference.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #14

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
huh... So am I still ganna have to replace the bad cat. if I get the o2 sim.?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #15

Quote:
huh... So am I still ganna have to replace the bad cat. if I get the o2 sim.?
you may not have to........if its not clogged up.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #16

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
So let me get this straight... The Sim. will turn off my light, and make the ECM think the cat. is working right, there for making my truck run right and get better mpg's? And the cat wont get worse? or will it still get clogged?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Before you go too berserk here, you know that code can also pop up because of a bad gas cap seal, right? As often as not, you can replace the gas cap gasket, or the cap in it's entirety and the code goes away.

It solved my P0420 problem and I have seen it solve others well. It can't hurt to look into it and it might save you some coin.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
So let me get this straight... The Sim. will turn off my light, and make the ECM think the cat. is working right, there for making my truck run right and get better mpg's? And the cat wont get worse? or will it still get clogged?
yes....the cel will turn off. truck should run normally....but i cant tell you if it is/will clog or not.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #19

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
K, thanks a bunch Will!

And I think Ive heard about bad gas seals, or bad gas can cause this code too. Someone said that Shell gas caused his code. Ive resently switched to shell. So I will look into the gas cap seal and bad gas. But first Im ganna get the thing looked at by buddy to see what exactly is causing it. Thanks again guys!

I would love not having to get a new cat.! Fingers crossed..
Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
shell caused it to give me that code the first time i ran it, idk why but a few miles down the road it came on, but the code went away by the time i got to my exhaust shop (checked it cleared it then it came back) so i think it may have been the gas, idk, but i run about once a month because its on the way to the coast and i havent had a problem since