Notices

Cold air intake or just Drop in?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
ZackM is on a distinguished road
Army: 88M
Name: Zack
ZackM's Tacoma Gallery
Cold air intake or just Drop in?

is there a big difference between these 2? did some research couldn't really find anything though.
thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed a pretty big difference. I had a k&n drop in and switched to a afe stage 2si cai. Truck sounds better, better throttle response, seems to not feel as sluggish taking off from a dead stop. Butt dyno tells me I gained some hp? Not sure how much though if any? Hope that helps!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
You're gonna have a split crowd here... Some people swear that stock we have a pretty good cai in which case a drop in is money. Personally, I have the TRD cold air and I love it to death! If you want to save money, get a drop in. If you want sound and a litle more performance, go for the full cold air.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
if your gonna get one, get one with a sealed box, I have the K&N and its not a sealed box and takes in hot air from the engine. Look at the TRD CAI
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
ZackM's Tacoma Gallery
awesome sounds good thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AFE stage 2 si! afe made the 05-09 trd cai's. they are cheaper and come with a better filter! Thats what i would recomend to you.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
SoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalBlack08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalBlack08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
if your gonna get one, get one with a sealed box, I have the K&N and its not a sealed box and takes in hot air from the engine. Look at the TRD CAI
i believe the K&N uses the hood as a cover for the top....and it sounds sick haha
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBlack08 View Post
i believe the K&N uses the hood as a cover for the top....and it sounds sick haha

I've tried to see if the hood made contact with the sheild but I cant see in there...but yea, it does sound pretty brutal
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBlack08 View Post
i believe the K&N uses the hood as a cover for the top
Not really. It is supposed to but I don't believe they seal all that well.

TRD or AFE is the way to go although I don't like the AFE as much as the TRD since the AFE has an opening in the bottom of the box and hot air can get into there. Either way you won't see much of a gain with just an intake.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

TRD or AFE is the way to go although I don't like the AFE as much as the TRD since the AFE has an opening in the bottom of the box and hot air can get into there.
It should come with a cap to seal that opening. that opening would be more beneficial when it comes to actual racing, rather then daily driving and short sprints.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
AFE stage 2 si! afe made the 05-09 trd cai's. they are cheaper and come with a better filter! Thats what i would recomend to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

TRD or AFE is the way to go although I don't like the AFE as much as the TRD since the AFE has an opening in the bottom of the box and hot air can get into there. Either way you won't see much of a gain with just an intake.
+ 1 on this...

I had AIRRAID, same like K&N, sort of/ had XDI True flow; a little bit more protection from heat/ and now I have Volant Ram Air Intake.

I should of went with TRD to begin with. The others were so so.. XDI sound was growling, but not TCAI... Did not want to fab up for the URD... So went with Volant and without a special tune it screws up my AFR... TRD is the way to go, AFE SI is the same with a proven additional port that increases volume of air flow or better said the way the air enters the intake tubing. I am opting for AFE to run with my SC here come Aug. I will be giving up my Volant with Scoop for a sweet deal but cant ship til late july, so just keep in touch.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't the TRD CAI not void the warranty but the others will....just wondering???
Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed99 View Post
Wouldn't the TRD CAI not void the warranty but the others will....just wondering???
It is made by Toyota so no. Really no mod will void warranty unless it is proven to damage OEM parts. If you run a 200 shot of nitrous and your tranny goes they you are shit out of luck. If you run an intake and the tranny goes then Toyota has to prove that the intake caused the damage which they won't be able to.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I have the drop in for mpg and to keep the low end torque.

I had the AFE stage 2 and lost 2 mpg and low end torqu, but gained some on the passing gear and noise.

Mod bug just makes a guy get this though..and then it wears off and you'll sell it.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 AM   #16
koakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoakai29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 34' Patrol Leader
Name: Brandon
koakai29's Tacoma Gallery
2010 trd cai?

Is the 2005-2009 TRD CAI the same part for the 2010's...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #17
Dirty Trucker

^^^ the 05-09 trd intake will fit the 2010's, but trd just redesigned the intake for 2010. Basically AFE isn't making them for trd anymore. I think another company is making them now? Can't remember who it is though? So far I've heard the one made by afe(05-09models) give more hp?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
ZackM's Tacoma Gallery
how about this cai? anyone have any feedback on this brand?

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1817A0A0.aspx

Products Discussed in this Thread