Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Dynomax mufflers?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Dynomax mufflers?

Lots of Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Borla threads.

I'm thinking of installing a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler in place of the stock muffler. No headers, just cut out the old and weld in the new using the stock 2.5" plumbing and remaining single side exhaust. I'm not looking for much if any louder, just a little less restrictive and more power. Anybody with this setup?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Lots of Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Borla threads.

I'm thinking of installing a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler in place of the stock muffler. No headers, just cut out the old and weld in the new using the stock 2.5" plumbing and remaining single side exhaust. I'm not looking for much if any louder, just a little less restrictive and more power. Anybody with this setup?

i havent seen anyone with dynomax on their tacomas....so i say go for it. dynomax arent usually too loud, and you may get some performance from it. if you decide to go with it.....put up a sound clip!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
her ya go
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
her ya go
that sounds pretty good man!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah it does almost like a friggin Italian exotic I'd definately think about gettin 1 Texas!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah it does almost like a friggin Italian exotic I'd definately think about gettin 1 Texas!
I'd seen that one and PM was not returned so still wondering which part # on that clip as I liked the sound as well. Thanks RR.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #7

Gees I thought I sent a reply-I'm a rookie with this stuff. Anyway all you have to do ia put Dynomax in your search engine and a whole bunch will come up. Also check your local muffler guy they can get 1 for you
Old 05-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #8

dynomax super turbo or ?

Quote:
her ya go
This your truck in this clip?
If so your showing a catback in your sig. and not turbo? Anyway sounds good. You happen to remember the part #. Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #9

No I have that 2001 and I had custom exhaust installed from the catalytic to the tips (catback being the description not the brand) That clip is a random from youtube
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #10

Put it on today

I installed a Dynomax super turbo muffler today. Part #17731 that is a side/center mount pattern. Sized 2.25" on both ends. Simply cut out the stock one and had to add about 6" inches of pipe in front and add some hanger rods to fit the stock locations. Stock muffler is 21" long and this one is only about 14" and flater so it sets up inside the frame a little higher. Took 30 min. and $108 total out the door.

I'm still getting used to it. It is slightly louder than stock at idle but gets only noticeably louder while accelerating and then goes back to mellow at cruising speed. I don't feel it is as loud as the clip above but it may get that way. I saved the stock one just in case. It's now raining so I will try to post some sound clips later, with some help from Bob I'm sure.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #11

Congrats Texas-how's the power-did you see a change there?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Congrats Texas-how's the power-did you see a change there?
I did have a friend riding with me at lunch after the install and yes I did have an urge. I was mildly suprised at the difference from a slow roll. My buddy commented that for a V6 it sounded and felt pretty good. He then started drilling me for make and #'s.

He has a '08 Dodge with a hemi.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #13

Well there ya go! I had the same experience...nice bonus. I notice extra with normal acceleration off the line..a clear 'just barely dipping into the pedal' deally as you watch the speedo climb. other than that, mainly when I get on it. You gonna put it on youtube?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Well there ya go! I had the same experience...nice bonus. I notice extra with normal acceleration off the line..a clear 'just barely dipping into the pedal' deally as you watch the speedo climb. other than that, mainly when I get on it. You gonna put it on youtube?
Same as you. If you don't just romp on it the sound is a nice lower mellow tone that all but disappears as you get to speed. Is that a discription?

I'll give it a try on U/T. Is that the only way to get it to this sight? I shot some video with a digital camera that has sound today. The growling as the pup chased the tennis ball was truly impressive.

We'll see tomorrow when the rain stops, though I'd just as soon it rain awhile as we are desperate for it here.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #15

Looking forward to it man! With you on rain-I dig it myself. We could use a good 1 here as smog is building up quick. That lower mellow tone almost sounds like a V-8 to me TCBob has a gaggle of video sites supported here. He's really cool and accommodating gent if you PM him w/your capabilities
Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
1killerkaw will become famous soon enough

1killerkaw's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" Dynomax super turbo and its pretty mellow except when your under acceleration. Gained some fuel mileage as well.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
ShoeDr is on a distinguished road
ShoeDr's Tacoma Gallery
Guys - That's my truck in the vid. I love the exhaust note and can vouch for the quality. Part # escapes me unfortunately, but I might be able to dig it up. I've also got another vid after I installed the DT shorties...I'll get that up soon.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDr View Post
Guys - That's my truck in the vid. I love the exhaust note and can vouch for the quality. Part # escapes me unfortunately, but I might be able to dig it up. I've also got another vid after I installed the DT shorties...I'll get that up soon.
So it is a Dynomax super turbo muffler? Curious how you did your system with the headers, dual now or still single side out? I actually wanted a side/side mount version but went ahead with the side/center as it was in stock. Still trying to picture the air flow route in a side/center or a center/center design?

The increase in sound seems to be growing on me and I was told by the muffler shop that it would be quieter than either the Magnaflow or the Flowmaster mufflers. It does seem more responsive and I got 17.8 mpg in town on the 1st tank after the install.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
ShoeDr is on a distinguished road
ShoeDr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
So it is a Dynomax super turbo muffler? I actually wanted a side/side mount version but went ahead with the side/center as it was in stock. Still trying to picture the air flow route in a side/center or a center/center design?

The increase in sound seems to be growing on me and I was told by the muffler shop that it would be quieter than either the Magnaflow or the Flowmaster mufflers. It does seem more responsive and I got 17.8 mpg in town on the 1st tank after the install.
I seem to remember superflo or ultraflow in the title...
I was told the same about the sound being quieter than a Mag or Flow, but I really wouldn't want it any louder. Great growl @ 40-45 and awesome roar on WOT.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDr View Post
I seem to remember superflo or ultraflow in the title...
I was told the same about the sound being quieter than a Mag or Flow, but I really wouldn't want it any louder. Great growl @ 40-45 and awesome roar on WOT.
Found the one off of their sight with the complete kit for the Tacoma as the Ultra Flo #17219 a side/center with quite a bit more flow rate than the one I got. Thanks for the info and I'll try to get a sound clip on here.