Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Wastegate problems... please help!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
19CQuest is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Will be an Ensign in one month, currently at the Academy
19CQuest's Tacoma Gallery
Wastegate problems... please help!

I have a 38mm Tial Sport Wastegate on my truck and it's leaking considerable exhaust at idle. This can't be normal right? Even with this it still seems to boost quick so I don't know what gives. I thought it may just be a spring problem so... I bought a new one and installed it, same thing. Is this normal? I'm scheduled to dynotune tomorrow but I know if this isn't right it could affect my tune. Any input is appreciated!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
well i found 2 sites that might be able to help you out. i got one from vwvortex the guy was a 38mm tail waste gate and it sounds like he has the same problem as you. even though its a completley different vehicle it could be helpful.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3702712

heres the 2nd site one turbo trouble shooting guide you know

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/Troubleshooting.htm

How does a Wastegate work?
A Wastegate is simply a turbine bypass valve. It works by diverting some portion of the exhaust gas around, instead of through, the turbine. This limits the amount of power that the turbine can deliver to the compressor, thereby limiting the turbo speed and boost level that the compressor provides.
  • The Wastegate valve can be "internal" or "external". For internal Wastegates, the valve itself is integrated into the turbine housing and is opened by a turbo-mounted boost-referenced actuator.
  • An external Wastegate is a self-contained valve and actuator unit that is completely separate from the turbocharger.
  • In either case, the actuator is calibrated (or set electronically with an electronic boost controller) by internal spring pressure to begin opening the Wastegate valve at a predetermined boost level.
  • When this boost level is reached, the valve will open and begin to bypass exhaust gas, preventing boost from increasing.
i would call customer service and ask what gives. just tryin to help you know.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
19CQuest is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Will be an Ensign in one month, currently at the Academy
19CQuest's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot for the response. It ended up being a bad valve seat... The shop hooked me up with one and I was able to dyno as planned