Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Fish Tailing...

Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
crucian is on a distinguished road
crucian's Tacoma Gallery
Fish Tailing...

My 09 Tacoma fish tails when I go around curves or corners when it rains. The dealership (Tom Maund) said add some weight in the rear. I asked if they can do it and they said no but put some cinder blocks or sand bags in the back. Ahhhh...I don't think so Tim. That's so dang ghetto (no discriminating...I'm black).

My question is this...where can I go to have some weights added to my truck. Several people at work said they had it done to their SUV's but can't remember where and I'm tired of waiting on them to find out from their husbands, friends, fathers, etc while my truck fish-tails around corners on wet days.

I'm in Austin, TX. Anyone know of someone local that I can take my truck to?

By the way, I just joined and posted pics of my truck, check 'er out. I call her Cylvia pronounced silvia but wanted to be unique.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you either need better tires or to slow down in corners
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Jimbob225 has a spectacular aura aboutJimbob225 has a spectacular aura about
Jimbob225's Tacoma Gallery
slow down or go to home depot
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
See how long you can keep the slide going

But seriously, you probably just need to control the throttle more as all trucks are more likely to lose traction in the rear than a car/suv.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
crucian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanTRD View Post
Sounds like you either need better tires or to slow down in corners
Nah...the tires still have half the tread left and I don't speed around corners in my truck...it's too high and I don't wanna flip it. haha...seriously, I was turning a corner at 25mph yesterday and it started to fish tail.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

You have an appendage on the end of your right leg (Im guessing), called a "foot". Dont press to hard on the accelerator with it when you are turning.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Hey chris I thought you couldn't spell?

Oh and I vote slow your roll.
What!!??...Did a speel something correctly??
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
crucian's Tacoma Gallery
Are you guys reading my response...I don't speed around corners especially wont even do it in a car when it rains. I appreciate being funny but I'm seriously looking for some good advice here.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
We're mostly saying you need to roll on the throttle a little slower to keep traction. Maybe your PSI is too high?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
try adjusting your tire pressure.
before I got my duratracs I would run the tire 5 pounds lower during the rainy season to get better traction.
just a thought
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
crucian's Tacoma Gallery
OK...thx for the advice.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
i haven't heard of anyone adding weight to their frame or anything if that's what you're thinking. sounds like a crazy idea
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to be smart but I have never, with any vehicle had an issue with it just fishtailing! Try a different approach to your turns, straighten them out as much as possible. Another words when getting to the stop sign to turn left get as far right as possible and start the turn before making the stop. Then ease onto the throttle, you know it wants to spin so apply less throttle. And just adding weight to your vehicle without it being secured is dangerious. Not to mention that just adding weight doesn't guarantee it will fix the problem may make it worse because of the extra weight shifting and you having to learn the feeling of it. I have hauled trailors with 3k pounds on them and spun the tires easily in my truck. Its an added thing to take into consideration mechanically and from a safety perspective.

Oh and yeah chris you spelled appendage correctly. Not that I am surprised but I read in a thread that you couldn't spell, maybe I never noticed because I can't read!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I've only fishtailed once in my truck. And it was kind of on purpose. I was testing in the rain, and there was no cars or anyone around, and it wasn't even that big of one.

The things I do for science!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #16
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
i like to make it go sideways...
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
arrowhead is a name known to allarrowhead is a name known to allarrowhead is a name known to allarrowhead is a name known to allarrowhead is a name known to allarrowhead is a name known to all
arrowhead's Tacoma Gallery
Get a couple bags of play sand cost about $8 total.

standard practice, not gehtto at all.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
stock tires suck. Even though they do have some tread life left, they are horrible at gripping anything other than dry pavement, and they don't even do that very well.

Just look up the reviews for your stock tires. You'll see,,,,

X2, If your running the stock rubber still? That is your problem! The stock tires that come on these trucks suck in the rain. The rugged fails i had were junk! Read some tire reveiws! Get some better tires! You don't need to add weight to your truck!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried playing with the vsc or whatever all that electronic stuff on the 09's and later is? Maybe that will help. I wheel with a guy that says it will quickly correct and throw the truck back in line pretty quick when it slides out.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE][Have you tried playing with the vsc or whatever all that electronic stuff on the 09's and later is? Maybe that will help. I wheel with a guy that says it will quickly correct and throw the truck back in line pretty quick when it slides out. /QUOTE]

+1. Something doesn't sound quite right. It can be difficult to get the tail to swing out with the VSC active. I would have your truck checked out to make sure everything is functioning properly.