Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Confused about exhaust.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Confused about exhaust.

ok i went to a muffler shop this weekend to see how much they would charge to install a flowmaster on my truck and he said only 150 bucks, but when i have looked on flowmaster.com it was saying like 500+. i know alot of you guys have flowmaster but did you pay over 500? whats the difference in the 2 prices? thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
ok i went to a muffler shop this weekend to see how much they would charge to install a flowmaster on my truck and he said only 150 bucks, but when i have looked on flowmaster.com it was saying like 500+. i know alot of you guys have flowmaster but did you pay over 500? whats the difference in the 2 prices? thanks.
Probably just the muffler is 150 installed. The compelete cat back system including y-pipe muffler and tailpipe is 500.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
do i need all that though or can i just get the muffler?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
muffler aloen is fine... but id go with something else besides a flowmaster, just IMO.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
muffler aloen is fine... but id go with something else besides a flowmaster, just IMO.
+1
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
do i need all that though or can i just get the muffler?
go with just a muffler, and add anice tip if you want to........essentially a catback, with out paying the ridiculous price that normal catbacks cost. thats what i have......flowmaster original 40 and a 3inch polished stainless tip. i love flowmaster.....but get the muffler you want,ultimately!! here is a soundclip of my 40.......

i think the 40 sounds awesome on the 4.0!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I like the sound (but he has a slight misfire) but I'd prefer hearing these truks driving down the road under load-THAT'S what everyone will hear.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I like the sound (but he has a slight misfire) but I'd prefer hearing these truks driving down the road under load-THAT'S what everyone will hear.
slight misfire.....explain???? i have never noticed any with my truck to be honest.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey T-man-I didn't know it was your truck there sorry. I just heard a little as the RPM's come down but very faintly-I didn't catch the top of your post where you said "my 40" sorry again. But I DID like the sound!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm....I listened 2 times. No miss fire. The sound you may have heard is the slight vaccume created when the throttle is let off when revving.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Hey T-man-I didn't know it was your truck there sorry. I just heard a little as the RPM's come down but very faintly
ah, its no problem man.....i'd want to know if something was wrong with my truck. i think its actually kinda backflow from the muffler. if i rev real high....it'll pop a bit when the rpms come down. no biggie though. just the mufflers characteristics i reckon!(plus.....it was cold as a witches tit outside....may have had something to do with it.)
Old 05-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Hmmm....I listened 2 times. No miss fire. The sound you may have heard is the slight vaccume created when the throttle is let off when revving.
or that too!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #13

COOL I don't wanna piss ya off T-it's perfect on the upswing...hell Harleys have your characteristic! I wonder if mine does it//the pipes are clear on the other side
Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
COOL I don't wanna piss ya off T-it's perfect on the upswing...hell Harleys have your characteristic! I wonder if mine does it//the pipes are clear on the other side
hey man.....no problem!!! were good!! i was just wondering what you thought sounded like a misfire is all. anyway......what do you mean your pipes are clear on the other side???
Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #15

I have them exiting out the passenger side all the way by the rear bumper....I could get my wife to sit ther and rev it...she's gonna give me that look though
Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
I have them exiting out the passenger side all the way by the rear bumper....I could get my wife to sit ther and rev it...she's gonna give me that look though
hahaha.......do it,do it, tell her its for research and development!!

do you have an aftermarket muffler???
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #17

I scored this one inlet/2 outlet muffler from a friend who runs a bodyshop. It's off an '06 Tundra that was wrecked and I HATED the ricey sound and one pipe of my original exhaust. So I took it to the exhaust guy and had him install it with dual pipes. I always liked the duals out one side thing so I had him run them all the way back 'till they cleared the leafs then they turn and exit up close to the body the way I think it should. Toyota ran it under the leaf behind the tire..I guess it saves on cost of pipe??
Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
I scored this one inlet/2 outlet muffler from a friend who runs a bodyshop. It's off an '06 Tundra that was wrecked and I HATED the ricey sound and one pipe of my original exhaust. So I took it to the exhaust guy and had him install it with dual pipes. I always liked the duals out one side thing so I had him run them all the way back 'till they cleared the leafs then they turn and exit up close to the body the way I think it should. Toyota ran it under the leaf behind the tire..I guess it saves on cost of pipe??
oh yeah....good ol dual setup!! thats what i had before i went back to single in/out setup!! sounded awesome too!!! really deep growl!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #19

HA yeah my Wife gave me the usual poop 'why you wanna go and ruin a perfectly good exhaust lalalala (God bless her)' but she wound up saying I made a cool choice!! She loves it and since I got the muffler free it only cost me 250 for pipes, tips and labor
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #20

Quote:
HA yeah my Wife gave me the usual poop 'why you wanna go and ruin a perfectly good exhaust lalalala (God bless her)' but she wound up saying I made a cool choice!! She loves it and since I got the muffler free it only cost me 250 for pipes, tips and labor
making the wifey happy......priceless!!! decent price too, by the way man!!