Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

MAF reset

Old 05-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
MAF reset

I scoured the whole forum 'cause I saw it said somewhere before but I couldn't find the answer to two questions. First, when you put in a K&N oiled air filter, or the whole CAI system...is it neccessary to disconnect the positive cable of the battery for around 10-15 minutes, reconnect it, then when you start the motor the MAF reads the increased airflow and will adjust accordingly? Is that a fact? Also, will even a normally-oiled (as opposed to heavily) K&N air filter still eventually foul up the MAF?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
A properly oiled filter should not harm the MAF, but it may down the line. No you don't need to reset it in anyway, the ECU will relearn on its own.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I scoured the whole forum 'cause I saw it said somewhere before but I couldn't find the answer to two questions. First, when you put in a K&N oiled air filter, or the whole CAI system...is it neccessary to disconnect the positive cable of the battery for around 10-15 minutes, reconnect it, then when you start the motor the MAF reads the increased airflow and will adjust accordingly? Is that a fact? Also, will even a normally-oiled (as opposed to heavily) K&N air filter still eventually foul up the MAF?
The engine computer will adjust to the new intake. It will take up to 3 tanks of gas for it to do so. I ran K&N filters on my 2000 Tacoma for 90,000 miles without the MAF getting fouled up. Make sure it is propperly oiled. I did clean my MAF one time @ 35,000 miles just as a preventative thing. One thing I feel the need to add, K&N filters are not a good filter. They do not perform well in filtering tests.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
One thing I feel the need to add, K&N filters are not a good filter. They do not perform well in filtering tests.
You mind showing where it says that? I wouldnt mind reading up on that considering I have a K&N drop in, here in dusty Lubbock TX.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Chris-I knew it was a waste of money. I bought just the filter to drop into the factory box-probably makes NO difference in anything.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the K&N not too long ago and I noticed a slight performance increase, I've had no MAF problems, and it doesn't seem to filter any worse than the disposable filters I was using.

Chris, I'm not discrediting you, merely relaying my experience thus far.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Thanks Chris-I knew it was a waste of money. I bought just the filter to drop into the factory box-probably makes NO difference in anything.
It is re usable, so It can save you money. And like I mentioned, I ran one for 90,000 miles with no ill affects. I pulled the top end of my motor @98,000 miles and it still looked REALLY good, I also run fully synthetic Mobil 1. I wouldnt sweat it, but consider an Amsoil nano filter. FWIW, the factory filters flow pretty good.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #8

thanks Chris
Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
You mind showing where it says that? I wouldnt mind reading up on that considering I have a K&N drop in, here in dusty Lubbock TX.
This is just one source that I have found online
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
I can appreciate your concern for dusty conditions. Arizona where I live isnt the dryest state, and Im off road almost daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I bought the K&N not too long ago and I noticed a slight performance increase, I've had no MAF problems, and it doesn't seem to filter any worse than the disposable filters I was using.

Chris, I'm not discrediting you, merely relaying my experience thus far.
No problem. Im open to be discredited. All I know is thru what I have experienced.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #10

More air filter info:

In this video, the paper filter is a Fram. The test I did with a factory Toyota filter showed no dirt on the coffee filter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8NajjYkFA
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #11

one more:
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #12

Great video Chris-