Front brakes pulling to one side and back again

Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Green Eggs and Ham Radio
Archery Ham is on a distinguished road

Archery Ham's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Archery Ham
Front brakes pulling to one side and back again

I have an annoying problem:

My front brakes are pulling to the left and then back again to straight. It does it with moderate to heavy braking. Felt in the steering wheel. It is not noticable with normal braking. Nose diving is normal.

This morning, I had a 8 AM appointment with the dealer.

A mechanic (30 years exp.) did not notice the pulling to the left and back to center again.

I drove him around the block. I told him to focus on one washer nozzle and you will see the hood move to the left and back to center again. After two tries, he agrees with me and notices the movement.

He said that there may be overspray of cosmoline on the left front brakes and should wear off at 1500 to 2000 miles. He said that he would document this and share with the other mechanics. I have 777 miles on it now. I told him that the only cosmoline I know of is used by the Army in the form of a grease to store rifles in a crate for long term storage.

He tells me that this stuff is used when doing "undercoating" by the dealership. A spray on grease.

He sounded sincere, not rushing me to go do something else. I was in no mood to be a jerk....I have been wrong too many times to count. But, I still have doubts and wanted it to be inspected.

I said my thanks and left.

Is he correct?

Thanks,
kevin
Old 05-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like maybe a warped rotor or a sticking caliper to me.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck piston would be my guess.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Green Eggs and Ham Radio

Thanks guys.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery Ham View Post
Thanks guys.
If you have a Torque wrench, Take the drivers side front tire off and put it back on useing the propper torque specs. ( I belive 85 ft. lbs.). Its possible that the tire has a couple of lugs over tightened causeing the rotor to warp. Im not sure if I buy the mechanics reason. Ive never heard of cosmoline being left on brakes.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you have a Torque wrench, Take the drivers side front tire off and put it back on useing the propper torque specs. ( I belive 85 ft. lbs.). Its possible that the tire has a couple of lugs over tightened causeing the rotor to warp. Im not sure if I buy the mechanics reason. Ive never heard of cosmoline being left on brakes.
me either....though i reckon anything is possible. im still betting on sticking caliper or warped rotor though.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Green Eggs and Ham Radio

I am going to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks....I reallly appreciate the advice.