Notices

Questions: V6 Intake Manifold & Throttle Body

Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Beer is proof God loves us.
Kawasaki is on a distinguished road

Kawasaki's Tacoma Gallery
Questions: V6 Intake Manifold & Throttle Body

Questions re an '05 V6:

1. Has any one ported and polished a tacoma throttle body; or any throttle body for that matter? I ran a quick search and nothing obvious jumped out. I was hoping to get some advice regarding this specific application. Ran the basic searches, just trying to finish off my education.

2. Does anyone know how large the intake manifold/surge tank throttle body opening is relative to the throttle body itself (close, much larger, much smaller)? Just looking for an approximation.

3. Has anyone run a lower thermostat or had any luck with inexpensive cooling upgrades?

Just to share, got some time on my hands so I thought I'd try and "tune" the top-end. Obviously the throttle body has my attention (re-routing the coolant as well) and I may lightly port and polish the intake manifold. Depending on how I'm feeling I might also try to adjust the valves. It'll be my first foray into an engine.

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
APR sells the X-1 ECU controller kit that comes with a 170°F t-stat.

The air surge tank is slightly larger then the TB, so a very mild porting on the TB might be beneficial. There is a company that sells larger TBs (can't recall the company/website right now)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Do I see you gaining a whole lot from doing this, if any? Nah, but prove me wrong! I know my way around the engine. I just don't see it doing Much so I haven't done it yet...
Old 05-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks X. You don't know anything about openings/intakes on the inside of the throttle body surface that need extra care? Example, I heard mustangs have an opening that assists idle and the surface of said opening cannot be altered w/o negatively affecting the idle.

1214 - Not really as I have zero experience with this; so modest at best. But I do expect a crisper throttle, a cleaner/smoother running engine and and maybe better fuel economy. Yes, currently I agree that it will take a while. But I took a piece of aluminum the other day and ground at it with a dremel stone. I was surprised how quickly it removed waste. I have experience working wood so I hope that'll helps expedite the process. Yes, I realize wood and metal aren't the same things.

I'll let you know if I thought it was worth it.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
By itself I don't think there will be major improvements but if you were to p/p your head and match the ports there could be alot gained. Then again, this is a truck and I wouldn't consider the 4.0 a performance motor. I rarely see anything more than 2500 rpm unless I am merging in traffic.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #7

I hear you. And your right, it's a 4 litre, 4x4. That's why I got a 600cc, 1x2 that gets hauled arond behind it In all seriousness though, the extra power would be great as I have occassion to haul a fair amount of gear. And, I'm just kind of curious what I can get out of that thing stock. So as long as I don't screw it up, I'll chaulk up any shortfalls in expectation to experience. I love the 6-spd though. It's got balls.

Appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
A few months ago, I did remove and rework the throttle body. The bore was blended and polished as much as possible.

Did it gain or do anything, can't say for sure. One thing I have noticed is that while it may not make more power, the 2010 of mine seems to like having the stock air box cleaned up.

The throttle body blending and polishing was not a planned thing. Started out wanting to remove the backfire / FOD screen. While the airbox was removed, the plastic flashing in the airpath was blended smooth. Also, a small portion of the airbox elbow just after the sensor and prior to the throttle body was smoothed also.

As time and money permits, maybe the airbox will get modded to remove the still airbox portion by installing a thin wall tube, or something similar to further smooth the intake air.

So now it has an oem airbox with a K&N filter, the carbon filter, the wire mesh screen have both been removed, the airbox internals have been smoother and the throttle body blended and polished. The result, the idle seems more consistant and smoother with the throttle acting less fly by wire and more mechanical in feel while driving.

PK
Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #9

Thanks for contributing everyone. Took a look at the throttle body yesterday and its pretty straight forward (round w zero ports).

PMK - Yeah, definitely going to have to go wa straight tube at some point.

Does anyone know if you can clean the mass air flow sensor with electrical contact cleaner? Mine's kind of dirty.