Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N Intake Idea

Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
STravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
STravis's Tacoma Gallery
K&N Intake Idea

This might be a stupid question but here goes...
When i bought my truck it had a K&N Intake on it, would it be possible or logical to build a box around the filter and connect it to where a true cold air intake gets air from? Like a home made version of the trd cai box.
Attached Thumbnails
K&N Intake Idea-trd-cold-air-intake-ptr03-35090.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
seems logical to me, give it a try
Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
STravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Edit

and also add a tube behind the grille.

Like this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tcai-40-a.html
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you are good with doing that kind of stuff then try it. Since I'm not good with fabrication I'd get rid of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Any other opinions?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for later viewing. Thought about it since I read about the one empire offroad made, 10 dollar diy cai. Too much going on with school, soon to change so ill be spending my time trying to figure something like this out. Keep us posted and maybe hook up a scangauge to read before "mod" and after mod iat to see if its helping you any...

Side note id try to stay away from an aluminum tubing, its a huge heat sink. Maybe lookinto plastic or composite tubing or header wrap the aluminum to keep air temps down providing for cooler intake temps
Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
bump.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #8

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Any other opinions?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

heres another option... keep the stock box and cut out a hole on the side thats near the fender well where the stock "resonator" or whatever it is is or was. get yourself a weapon r air filter with their extension and run the tubing down and possibly where the stock inserts are for the fog lights, place the collector there and remove the insert

http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?ac...roduct&id=1824
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Name: Alex
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis toyo View Post
This might be a stupid question but here goes...
When i bought my truck it had a K&N Intake on it, would it be possible or logical to build a box around the filter and connect it to where a true cold air intake gets air from? Like a home made version of the trd cai box.
man i hate my KNN with a passion!! if you wanted to try to mod it ill do it with you i have been wanting to try to do somethin like that
Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #11

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure if i will even have time for a while.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #12

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
Almost there

No discussion to any of my input or is it just got a good enough idea and we are gonna just scrap thise ideas??
Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #14

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
No discussion to any of my input or is it just got a good enough idea and we are gonna just scrap thise ideas??
It had the K&N intake when i bought it so d don't have any of the stock intake. If it was stock when i bought it i would just do the deckplate mod.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Almost there

Post number 9: get a weapong r filter with their ram air kit (link posted) run it through the fenderwell area out of the engine bay to draw cold air
Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #16

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Post number 9: get a weapong r filter with their ram air kit (link posted) run it through the fenderwell area out of the engine bay to draw cold air
Yeah i kinda planned on doing something like that with some kind of material.

And sorry if it seemed like i was ignoring your idea
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Almost there

no thats totally cool man i was just curious if you noticed since you kept saying bump and i threw some things in there. hopefully me few comments help with some sort of idea. i will hopefully be working on something as well
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #18

STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i'm just gonna try to find all my options or see if my idea is just waste of time. Thanks a lot for your input. I guess we'll see where it goes.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Almost there

pardon the language iv had a beer or 2...FUCK that man!!! i cant see tinkering with this for my truck ever as a waste of time lol i would really enjoy it! what else you have to do over the summer travis?! have fun with this, be creative, and fucking make something sick and i might buy it off you!!