Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What would cause sputtering sound during acceleration

Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
straightaxle is on a distinguished road

Name: Jordan
straightaxle's Tacoma Gallery
What would cause sputtering sound during acceleration

I have been trying to trouble shoot why my taco sputters, almost small backfires about three times when i mash the gas, i thought it would just be a clogged fuel filter, but changed it and it isn't. So after looking at my exhaust the other day i noticed that the weld on the in pipe to my muffler was rusted through so there is about a 1 inch by 3 inch opening at the front of my muffler. My truck is trd supercharged so would this hole in the exhaust be the problem with not letting the back pressure build up when the truck downshifts and causes the backfiring?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I was about to say you probably have a hole in your exhaust system but then you confirmed you do. This is probably the cause of the sound. Your just hearing the exhaust leak, most likely.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

alright well that just mean i need to save money for headers and redo the whole exhaust lol
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
haha, or just get a shop to weld up that hole till you can get some new pipes
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #5

i could, or convince myself that i need all new exhaust haha. Plus it makes me buy headers faster which i have been wanting lol
Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
haha do it! and get me some too
Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
or...you can part out the truck and give me the super charger
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

hmm tempting, it really is lol