Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Need Exhaust advice to compliment Volant Intake

Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
ffpm46 is on a distinguished road
Army: 82 Airborne Division 2/504 PIR
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Need Exhaust advice to compliment Volant Intake

JUst wondering what everyone thought or what everyone is running exhaust wise with the Volant intake.

ANy help would be appreciated!

Thanks you
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Just change your muffler:

Install a Magnaflow/Dynomax super turbo/or Aero Turbine in place of your stock muffler.

Keep the inlet outlet at 2.25" or 2.5" and you will be satisfied with the sound and slight performance increase.

My opinion is a straight through muffler is the best sounding for our motors. Stay away from baffled or chambered style muflers; dont sound well on our 4.0.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, I will look into that. Is a Cat back system worth it? I guess will I see equal, less or more power increase with the Magnaflo you listed or a cat back system?

Thank you
Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not much to gain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffpm46 View Post
Cool, I will look into that. Is a Cat back system worth it? I guess will I see equal, less or more power increase with the Magnaflo you listed or a cat back system?

Thank you
The main benefit with a CatBack system is going with SS mandrel bent piping that wont rust. I've seen lots of weld work that starts to rust even though you are welding a stainless pipe. Depending on weld materials.

But other than that you wont see much gain from the piping, until you go SC and need to open up that exhaust more

So if you dont care about lifetime piping, or think you might change your exh in the future; dont make the same mistake I did. Save your cash and just weld in a solid straight through muffler.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
The main benefit with a CatBack system is going with SS mandrel bent piping that wont rust. I've seen lots of weld work that starts to rust even though you are welding a stainless pipe. Depending on weld materials.

But other than that you wont see much gain from the piping, until you go SC and need to open up that exhaust more

So if you dont care about lifetime piping, or think you might change your exh in the future; dont make the same mistake I did. Save your cash and just weld in a solid straight through muffler.

Which do you have? The Super or the Areo?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction

Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffpm46 View Post
Which do you have? The Super or the Areo?
I have a borla catback, sounds great looks great, but expensive. Went from right side exit, then had it dumped after rear axel, and now have it modifide to exit just before my passenger rear tire.

Still sounds good, but I will be installing a Banks Monster Exh. this summer. True 3" Madrel bends, and straight through muffler. this will compliment my TRD SC very well.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
The only way I would get a straight through muffler would be if I had a SC. Without a tune you won't see that much in gains from intake and exhaust alone. The only muffler I've heard people of having gains with was the super turbo muffler, which is a bit less restrictive than stock but more so than flowmaster, magnaflow. Don't waste your money on a catback. Our pipes are already SS.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
tacomakid89's Tacoma Gallery
Theres a group buy going on right now with Wicked Flow mufflers. I dont know how it would sound on yours though. But just something to think about.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
ffpm46's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Install a Magnaflow/Dynomax super turbo/or Aero Turbine in place of your stock muffler.

Keep the inlet outlet at 2.25" or 2.5" and you will be satisfied with the sound and slight performance increase.

My opinion is a straight through muffler is the best sounding for our motors. Stay away from baffled or chambered style muflers; dont sound well on our 4.0.
Hello, does anyone know which I should order, what size out let to fit the stock piping?