LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Gas Mileage help!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
J Tex is on a distinguished road
J Tex's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mileage help!

Hi I am really new to the whole improving gas mileage thing, i basically know nothing about how to improve it and that is why I am posting this thread.I would like to know what works and what does not. Does replacing your exhaust system really help that much, and how about the air intake does that help to? What other things can I replace/upgrade that would help. Are there any mods or tricks that you have found that also help with gas mileage?Basically I guess what I am asking is how do I get the maximum amount of gas mileage out of my 2008 double cab, v6 automatic transmission Tacoma truck?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
The best thing you can do to improve MPG is have a light right foot. I added an AFE air filter and Dynomax muffler (the poor man's intake/exhaust) and slightly over inflate my tires and I've noticed a slight improvement, but probably no more than 1MPG. You could get ScanGauge if you're really serious about MPG.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
The best thing you can do to improve MPG is have a light right foot. I added an AFE air filter and Dynomax muffler (the poor man's intake/exhaust) and slightly over inflate my tires and I've noticed a slight improvement, but probably no more than 1MPG. You could get ScanGauge if you're really serious about MPG.
That about sums it up. Don't bother spending money trying to save money, just go easy on the skinny pedal. The one thing that has helped me is using "pure" gas with no ethanol. It may not be available in your area, but its worth the couple extra cents.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have gotten 18.5mpg in town using medium grade fuel. My mpg normal drops on the highway since I live in Montana where I can get away with going 85
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
A light right foot is the most powerful improver of mileage.

The second most powerful is vehicle maintenance being done on time and correctly. This includes tire pressure, balancing, alignment, fluid and filter changes, greasing, and replacing consumables (belts, hoses, tires, etc.) on time.

Do it all as scheduled (or more often) and you will have a happy, reliable vehicle in excellent condition that gives you the best mileage it is capable of, best performance it is capable of, and slowest/lowest depreciation.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Since our trucks shut down the injectors when coasting (at the the autos do) that helps tremendously on MPGs. I do the following whenever possible:

- Accelerate moderately but steadily up to speed. No jack rabbit starts but I don't take 2 minutes to get going either. My truck gets 12-15mpg with even light acceleration so I don't want to be too slow about getting to cruising speed
- I use cruise control whenever going above 40 mpg and on relatively flat ground. Cruise control can be more efficient when on flat ground but any time I hit even moderate hills then I can beat it and get better MPGs driving on my own.
- When driving on my own up/down hills I'll accelerate slightly going downhill (up to 5mph over the speed limit) and then bleed off some of that speed going up the next hill so as to require less acceleration uphill.
- When I do need to stop I try to lose at least 25% of my speed by coasting. There's no point accelerating up to a stop sign/light anyway, you just transform the wasted gas into heat when you step on the brakes.
- Any time I see a 1/8 mile or more of downhill slope I'll coast a bit to let the injectors kick off and essentially get unlimited MPGs
- I rarely if ever get above 2250 RPMs although this isn't a direct reflection of good mileage. It's easy to only be running at 1700 RPMs and only getting 15mpg if you're accelerating up an slight hill. Still, all other things being equal, lower revs equals lower fuel consumption.

I bought a ScangaugeII about 6 months ago at this point but it hasn't helped me get better mileage... I think I was pushing it for all it was worth before then but having one has helped me confirm the items above. Plus it's a nifty toy and something to pay attention to on my drive to work/home every day. It also helps me refocus on driving conservatively on those days when I'd rather just punch it. With my commute (70% suburban roads, 30% highway) driving faster doesn't get me there any sooner... it just gets me to the next red light quicker. Slowing up a bit makes most of the difference on my drive because about the time I'm thinking about letting off the gas to coast up to a light it turns green and I roll through.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

^You get 12-15mpg
Seems like you would get alot more
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
J Tex is on a distinguished road
J Tex's Tacoma Gallery
Okay that answers my question thanks everyone for that helpful info
Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
^You get 12-15mpg
Seems like you would get alot more
12-15 mpg when accelerating. I get ~22mpg overall.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #10

^oh haha that makes sense
Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
BorderTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
BorderTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am averaging between 15/18. I have a DC 2007 PreRunner with 265 tires, but the rest of the specs are the same for my 16" tires (Nitto Terra). Everything else is stock. Is this normal?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone ever tried using a Weapon R cai or sun hyper voltage system?

Products Discussed in this Thread