Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb

Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
SMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant future
Name: Steve
SMG26's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb

Is any one running one of these with the long tubes and cat back exhaust. Is it worth the $300 and is there any rasp?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Ainokea
MrZoggs will become famous soon enough

Name: Zach
MrZoggs's Tacoma Gallery
Not 100% sure but from my background knowledge with the Doug Thorley products the pipe-bomb will make your truck louder, more responsive, and you should see a bit more power from it.

Combining the long tubes with the pipe bomb will eliminate all four of your cats making your truck A LOT louder. Generally this sound is a bit more raspy and has a drone to it.. Its a V6 not a V8.. So its not gona sound as great with an open system. Most people think this setup is too loud and grow out of it rather quickly.

As for performance gains.. Eliminating your cats is going to open your exhaust system up a lot more. You'll notice better throttle response and possibly a bit more power. Most after market y-pipes allow for smoother/increased flow which helps maximize your trucks performance.

Soo is it worth it?? Depends, I'd say if you don't mind the loud raspy sound then go for it. You can always try different mufflers to tweak the sound to how you'd like it to be. If not then don't..

Personally, It was too loud for me. I saw more gains with the long tubes vs the pipe bomb so i opt'd to keep the DT headers and sell off the DT pipe bomb. I'm rather happy with how it all turned out. I've got the DT Headers, Stock Y-pipe, Magnaflow Muffler, and the trd CAI. Which all turns out to be a rather good sounding system.

Hope this helped a bit. I'd say just go for what you think you'll like. Your first gut reaction is normally your best. ~Zoggs
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
The pipe-bomb only costs about $300 so it is significantly cheaper then the LT headers. I run the pipe-bomb and I love it. My gas mileage is way better as well as throttle response. Also for you offroaders it gains more ground clearence becase the stock y pipe dips down under the frame.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation Do not do it:

I repeat...

Do Not Do it.

That thing sounds like crap paired with the DTLT headers right around 3000rpm. And this aint your normal Rasp. Go with URD Y-pipe and a second muffler, or just stay stock.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
If you decide you want a Doug Thorley Y Pipe, I can have one shipped to you immediately.

http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPat...her8mvcu8ptp90

G
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
i am running the pipe bomb and banks monster with stock headers and trd cai and trd s/c i love it. zero rasp a little louder than most but its what i like heres a vid clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U20FN_vh0Y
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
i am running the pipe bomb and banks monster with stock headers and trd cai and trd s/c i love it. zero rasp a little louder than most but its what i like heres a vid clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U20FN_vh0Y

Not sure how you eliminated the rasp, maybe because you are running a full 3" catback via the monster exhaust.

On a side note, Your exhaust sounds awesome. very deep growl. I will be running that same set up soon minus the Pipebomb. Cant wait, now that Ive heard your setup.

Laters....
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Not sure how you eliminated the rasp, maybe because you are running a full 3" catback via the monster exhaust.

On a side note, Your exhaust sounds awesome. very deep growl. I will be running that same set up soon minus the Pipebomb. Cant wait, now that Ive heard your setup.

Laters....
while i was debating purchasing the pipe bomb i was asking around alot about it and got that it would sound raspy alot! i had a short conversation with xrunnit and he informed me the raspy sound comes from the dtlt headers because of their design? so i figured i would at least try the setup and if i didnt like it i could just sell the pipebomb but now with these new style dtlt out i might reconsider my whole setup. that damn s/c opens up a whole new world of mods
Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
while i was debating purchasing the pipe bomb i was asking around alot about it and got that it would sound raspy alot! i had a short conversation with xrunnit and he informed me the raspy sound comes from the dtlt headers because of their design? so i figured i would at least try the setup and if i didnt like it i could just sell the pipebomb but now with these new style dtlt out i might reconsider my whole setup. that damn s/c opens up a whole new world of mods
Ha ha... yeah I feel your pain. My TRD SC is going in august, and I already plan on purchasing the new headers even though I already have the originals. But hey, I bet my originals will sell super quick, LOL...

Ejoy the Mod Bug, I am
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Yep, you can run the URD ypipe (or any other catless y-pipe) with most any other catback and not have an ounce of rasp.

Of all the systems that I have heard that have rasp issues, all have the DTLT.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #13

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Hey x have you had a chance to hear the new dtlt's yet just wondering if the new design reduced or got rid of the rasp?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a slightly used one and am awaiting the gaskets from URD.
I want to keep all the cats and exhaust manifolds.
Just looking for a bit better transition to the TRD catback.
The extra clearance will be nice too.

Gaskets should be here tomorrow
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Hey x have you had a chance to hear the new dtlt's yet just wondering if the new design reduced or got rid of the rasp?
Unfortunately I have not heard them yet, so I can't say.