LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tundra to Tacoma brake swap feasibily?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra to Tacoma brake swap feasibily?

Is it feasible to swap brakes from a Tundra 4x4 with TRAC/ATRAC to replace 2nd Gen Tacoma brakes on a TRD Offroad TRC/ATRAC equipped vehicle? I know the older non ATRAC equipped Tacos could swap to older non ATRAC equpped Tundra brakes but not sure about the ATRAC equipped versions? ANyone ever heard of this being done before?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
originalthoughts is on a distinguished road
originalthoughts's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive my ignorance but are the tundra brakes that much better?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra brakes are bigger, but I doubt the Taco needs them.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't the tundra have a different lug pattern. Isn't that why you don't see people rocking tundra rims.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
If I had a Tundra I would use Tundra brakes,If I had a Tacoma,I would use Tacoma brakes.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I assume you are referring to swapping the rear brakes?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
silverbullet01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lonny
silverbullet01's Tacoma Gallery
I have tundra brakes on my 01 dbl cab. I do notice a difference with them. Before I was going through brakes (not just cheap ones). But now they last way longer. Especially if you tow/haul with your Pickup. Their worth the swap imo.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Well it appears older Tundras had the same bolt pattern as Tolder Tacomas. The new Tundras are 5 lug. The Tundra brakes are about an inch larger rotor and disk rear. THat would have been a great upgrade along with new pads but it seems like most people are pretty happy with just new pads, lines, and fluid that have lifted trucks.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would just get a good set of rotors and pads since I'm sure Tundra brakes would be a pain in the ass to install on a 2nd gen. Some have swapped to rear disc with negative results.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I really see no reason to mess with a system that obviously isn't broken. The Tacoma's stopping distances are among the best in its class. The brakes don't need upgrading people.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
silverbullet01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lonny
silverbullet01's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading isn't Just for stopping distance, its for the extra life you get out of tundra pads vs stock tacoma, worth it I think. Atleast for automatic trucks that can't just shift down all the way to stop. Example. Me and my brother. Same trucks. I have tundra brakes. he doesn't: since my swap he's wore out 2 sets of pads. I'm still Workin on the first. But as far as swappin in newer tacos. Outta my league.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I really see no reason to mess with a system that obviously isn't broken. The Tacoma's stopping distances are among the best in its class. The brakes don't need upgrading people.
They need upgrading of some sort if you lift and put 33"+ tires, espcially heavy tires like Nittos/Toyos and if you use steel wheels, toolbox, winch, plate bumpers, if you tow heavy loads, etc.