1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing power mods?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by metalry101, May 31, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    metalry101

metalry101 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    I recently bought a ~5000 lb travel trailer to drag around with my '05 Taco on occasion and would like a little extra power. I've got the 4.0 V6 and auto trans. It's a TRD Double Cab if that matters.

I've got the weight distributing hitch and the trailer brake controller so I should be covered there. My truck came with the towing package stock, so I believe I should have a decent tranny cooler already. Do I need more? Do I need a gauge so I can keep an eye on tranny temps, or should it be fine as long as I drive reasonably? How about the rearend? Any heat issues in the rear diff while towing heavy loads long distances?

I'm not looking to be able to go 90 everywhere...I usually stick to 65-70 while towing, but I live in Utah and frequently drag the trailer several hundred miles, much of it above 6000 ft in elevation. 500-1000 miles will be pretty standard if I take it out for a weekend, much of it on 2 lane highways in the mountains.

I'd like more all around power. I've read on here that the aftermarket CAI's don't really do anything except make more noise and maybe help a bit above 3500 RPM's. A lot of people are really high on the AFE Pro Dry drop in filters, but I can't tell if that's because it's just easier and less expensive, or if the results are the same? If the CAI's do help with power, which one is preferred? AFE? K&N? Someone else?

What other mods will help? I know modern exhausts are pretty good...do any of the cat back systems and such help with power? Or are they purely a sound mod? I'm not anti-sound, but a badass rumble from the exhaust doesn't impress the 11 feet of wall that is the front of my trailer. An extra 15 horsepower to go with the rumble on the other hand...now that's worth looking into.

Any other mods to consider for extra power? The truck has more than enough power for my everyday driving needs, but another 10-25 horsepower could come in handy when towing in the mountains.

2. May 31, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Well Doug thorley long tube headers are a gain in power, but if you really want more power I vote supercharger

3. May 31, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
  4. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    F-125Racer

F-125Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09,DC,TRD Sport, 4WD, TRD S/C
    Check out the thread "6 Cylinder Towing Review" in the Towing forum.

Products Discussed in

To Top