Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

help picking a cold air intake street legal in CA

Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
donovan6241 is on a distinguished road

Name: Donovan
donovan6241's Tacoma Gallery
help picking a cold air intake street legal in CA

i need help picking a cold air intake that is street legal in San Diego CA. I dont want anything too loud and i dont want anything that will mess with my air sensor and make dash light come on. I was thinking about getting either Volant intake or TRD intake.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
the new TRD is the only one I know about that is CARB exempt
Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
X2.

The Volant intake can cause problems. Stock is carb exempt. You won't gain much with an intake alone anyway.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just picked up a AFE stage II and Ill just switch out at smog time
Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
BUDDHApower
tacomabuddha is on a distinguished road

tacomabuddha's Tacoma Gallery
I live in CA, and just got my car smog checked with K&N intake. Pass w flying colors!!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
X2.

The Volant intake can cause problems. Stock is carb exempt. You won't gain much with an intake alone anyway.
It comes with a warranty so any problems i have im gonna call them. Do u know if the volant is legal in CA?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
mr2crazed is a jewel in the roughmr2crazed is a jewel in the roughmr2crazed is a jewel in the rough

mr2crazed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabuddha View Post
I live in CA, and just got my car smog checked with K&N intake. Pass w flying colors!!
You have the drop in filter or the whole intake?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
do u know if the TRD had a lifetime filter?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan6241 View Post
It comes with a warranty so any problems i have im gonna call them. Do u know if the volant is legal in CA?
As said before the only carb legal intake is the new TRD. Nothing else is since they all pretty much remove the charcoal filter.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
As said before the only carb legal intake is the new TRD. Nothing else is since they all pretty much remove the charcoal filter.
ok.. i really want to get it but its kinda expensive.. the dealer want $520 without installation... if u know anywhere i can get it cheaper please let me know..
Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menametony View Post
i got a trd CAI... the guy at the smog place thought it was factory =)
Actually, I might just pick up a TRD sticker and put it on instead of my AFE sticker and see if I can pass.

Honestly I have a fucking supercharger but california only cares about the stupid CAI cause its not by there standards approved.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Actually, I might just pick up a TRD sticker and put it on instead of my AFE sticker and see if I can pass.

Honestly I have a fucking supercharger but california only cares about the stupid CAI cause its not by there standards approved.
lmaooooo yaaa try that
Old 06-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
BUDDHApower
tacomabuddha is on a distinguished road

tacomabuddha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2crazed View Post
You have the drop in filter or the whole intake?

The whole intake.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
You could check ebay. I got mine brand new for $280, and so have others on the site. The 'old' trd intake; I'm not sure about the redesigned one
I think I saw a TRD on the classifieds here or Craigslist for $300 but might have been the older model. You can always spend $50 and buy the drop in from K&N or TRD, doubt it'll really make a difference in power alone, just noise. Or buy any and remove when it's time to smog, doubt the po-po are pulling these trucks over like they do Fast and Furious Hondas
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
You could check ebay. I got mine brand new for $280, and so have others on the site. The 'old' trd intake; I'm not sure about the redesigned one
yaaaa i checked ebay there like 380
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Banned
Saw an AFE for sale in the classifieds for a good price. I'd snatch it up if I didn't have my TRD.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...plus-more.html
Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabuddha View Post
How the hell did you do that??? Did you pay extra, or have your buddy do it?