LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Best Air Intake System?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
primo_63 is on a distinguished road
primo_63's Tacoma Gallery
Best Air Intake System?

Hey all, Can you help me out? I'm completely clueless on which air intake system is the best. Which is the best for dusty conditions (farming)?

I hear XDI's setup its great, but how does it improve performance/MPG?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
I see a lot of aFe/TRD and Volant intakes on this site
Old 05-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I'm not trying to be rude, I know you're new here.

If you use the search function, you will find a ton of threads on intakes and many opinions. You should check it out. And once you finish your research, maybe you can come back to this thread and let us know which one you decided on.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
Hey I'm not trying to be rude,
uh oh, here comes something rude!

I use the URD intake and I love it. You shouldn't plan to do any water crossing with it though.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
uh oh, here comes something rude!
LOL, I was trying to be nice, I think I succeeded.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
primo_63 is on a distinguished road
primo_63's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
LOL, I was trying to be nice, I think I succeeded.
Yea, I did search for this information, but I couldn't find a thread containing anything about which intake was superior. I was hoping I could get a lowdown on which people are most pleased with.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by primo_63 View Post
Yea, I did search for this information, but I couldn't find a thread containing anything about which intake was superior. I was hoping I could get a lowdown on which people are most pleased with.
How can anybody say which system is superior? Unless somebody has tried all the systems out there on their Taco, you won't get an answer you are looking for. Chances are people are going to say the system they have is the best. That said I think you should keep searching this site - there is lots of good info on many different intake systems.

Hope you find the one that is right for you.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
How can anybody say which system is superior? Unless somebody has tried all the systems out there on their Taco, you won't get an answer you are looking for. Chances are people are going to say the system they have is the best. That said I think you should keep searching this site - there is lots of good info on many different intake systems.

Hope you find the one that is right for you.
X2

i think it all depends on what you want. there are oiled and oil free CAI there are open heat sheilds and then there are enclosed filters. i sure if you go with any NAME BRAND CAI you will be happy with your chose.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Tacoma World Ring Leader

klown's Tacoma Gallery
My stock airbox is DA FKN BOMB!!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Try this:
http://bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
and this:
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
bfriatc is on a distinguished road
bfriatc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by primo_63 View Post
Hey all, Can you help me out? I'm completely clueless on which air intake system is the best. Which is the best for dusty conditions (farming)?

I hear XDI's setup its great, but how does it improve performance/MPG?

Thanks
Here's how I did mine for under $30. (I have an 05 Pre-Runner V6).

1)Take the stock air filter out. With a little finese and some patience, you can jig saw out the paper part of the filter and grind the inside down using a file or hand grinder (this is to prevent a gap in the box the air filter sits in). If you remove the whole filter, there is big hole that debris can enter from.
2) Replace the frame of the air filter.
3) Loosen the spring clamp around the hose and loosen the 2 bolts holding the air intake tubing to the frame.
4) Buy a round oiled high flow air filter and use the spring clamp to attach it right where the factory piece attached. I bought one at AutoZone for $25 and it was adjustable to different diameters.

I realized this isn't the most detailed description, as I am pretty new to this and my buddy helped me through the whole process. Reply to my post if you want some pics. The hardest part was messing with the old air filter, but after that it took 5 minutes to install.

Products Discussed in this Thread