1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo v6 . . .

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by revhappyleon, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Jun 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    revhappyleon

revhappyleon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner V6 6-speed(custom dual exhaust)
    dual exhaust, foglight anytime, satoshi, chlm, aux backup lights and electric fan conversion
    So I've been thinking oabout how hard/easy it would be to twin turbocharge my tacoma. JBA shortie headers with some straight tubing, a flange on the end and an O2 signal modifier. I'm gonna start making regular trips to the junkyard to look for volvos because i changed the oil on a coworker's 940 turbo and while looking some stuff up online i saw the boost pressure adjustment procedure which says they should be 7.5-8 psi on a 2.3L L4 i figure 2.0L L3 should spin it nicely and they'll be relatively cheap. i could use a 2 into 1 intercooler setup and blow-through maf setup so i can vent to the atmosphere. I'm now wondering how the stock ecu would handle the p-r-e-s-u-r-i-s-s-a-t-i-o-n?(ooh i almost hurt myself that time). I've heard that the APR X-1 can't read boost which would force me to urn to urd's other solution, the MAP ecu2 which has an onboard map sensor(Saves me the trouble of making a maf adapter). That only leaves fuel, injectors are readily available or i could do a 7th setup. I'm also looking into the pros/cons of plumbing into the engines oil or running a separate circuit with an electric pump and temp sensor so it keeps pumping cooled oil after a hot shutdown.
    Comments, questions, concerns? :eek: . . . flames, laughs, jeers? :mad:

2. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
  3. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:09 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    x2

4. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:09 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    dual exhaust, foglight anytime, satoshi, chlm, aux backup lights and electric fan conversion
    lazy-asses no replies? lol

5. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I have next to nothing to say lol. I wanna see where this goes.

6. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    i dont know anything about turbo setups so cant help im along with ktm wanna see what people gotta say

7. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    ok well thanks for the company . . . can i have some popcorn?

8. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    yah hear you go :popcorn:

9. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
  10. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    i ran out and on that note its 2:16 here gotta hit the hay

11. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    so far it looks like urd gets about $1300 with the cheaper ecu and $1900 with the better one . . . or i could use the maf/timing calibrator and the AFR calibrator for under $1200! caching there goes a $100 to blow elsewhere

12. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    you show that flora who's boss!

13. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    skulltacoma

skulltacoma Make more better!

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 toyota tacoma trd modified
    CAI, dynomax turbo exhaust system,tinted windows medium on the fronts to match the backs, hid kit hi and low beam, pop and lock tailgate, painted calipers red with caliper paint, put 2.25' leveling kit in front and a 1" block in the rear. its now level and rides WAY better (readylift)>way nicer than the revtek my buddy has i think its garbage imo<, hurst "T" shifter, 18 x 10 american racing (can't remember the name) chrome rims with badass 5 inch lip :), 12 inch rockford fosgate punch with rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, bushwacker fender flares (cheaper than replacing the one i wrecked lol) ,kc light bar with kc lights, toyota aluminum stamped skid plate, and a skull front license plate. More mods to come, thinking a 6 inch lift and arb bumper etc etc.
    all i have to say is i would like some popcorn too please... and also i REALLY wanna se where this goes considering i am still on the fence on if i would rather whistle or whine.... *whistle=turbocharger whine=supercharger* so if this works out i will be the first guy to be puling apart volvos up here to make a twin turboed taco..... HELL YA!!!

cheers

Ben.

14. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    LuckeyTRD

LuckeyTRD rIDIN wHEELIEz!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner ALL TERRAIN
    BHLM, Blacked out tails, window tint 5%, tinted windshield , 8000k hids hi/lo and fogs. Black side badges, debadged tailgate, camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, Camburg 4" spindles, ext. brake lines, Fox remote resi coilovers. Fox 2.0 Pro series rear piggybacks, 3" Allpro Leaf pack, OEM roof rack, Brush guard. Custom TRD allterrain decals. UWS low profile black toolbox
    so volvo turbo's would be probably some of the best ones to choose from but if u go with em u mite wanna look into changing out the compressor wheel in them to help with spool. considering they will be underpressurized... other than that id say go for it.. you basically just figured out 80 percent of the problems ur gonna have...

15. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    thanks the other options are saabs, 300zx tt's, mercedes, diesels, single turbo 300zx, . . . any i forgot?

16. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM
    LuckeyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Blacked out tails, window tint 5%, tinted windshield , 8000k hids hi/lo and fogs. Black side badges, debadged tailgate, camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, Camburg 4" spindles, ext. brake lines, Fox remote resi coilovers. Fox 2.0 Pro series rear piggybacks, 3" Allpro Leaf pack, OEM roof rack, Brush guard. Custom TRD allterrain decals. UWS low profile black toolbox
    i just wanna see someone drop a 4.5 liter duramax td in a taco. now that would be badass

17. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    the tt 300 might be an option we have one in the back lot of the shop i work at in pieces and the owner is thinking of just selling it for like $200 and if i part out the rest of it it might help cover the costs of this crazy scheme and i really love run-on sentences

18. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    ya know the ome 996 coils? that would need like 1096 coils :p

19. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM
    LuckeyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    jetta tdi's or turbo bugs... but a good turbo would be one out of a smaller diesel motor. they are built to spool at low rpm's and provide trq

20. Jun 5, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    revhappyleon

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Tampa near macdill
    Vehicle:
    where are my manners, here you go skull:popcorn:

Products Discussed in

To Top