Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Turbo v6 . . .

Old 06-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo v6 . . .

So I've been thinking oabout how hard/easy it would be to twin turbocharge my tacoma. JBA shortie headers with some straight tubing, a flange on the end and an O2 signal modifier. I'm gonna start making regular trips to the junkyard to look for volvos because i changed the oil on a coworker's 940 turbo and while looking some stuff up online i saw the boost pressure adjustment procedure which says they should be 7.5-8 psi on a 2.3L L4 i figure 2.0L L3 should spin it nicely and they'll be relatively cheap. i could use a 2 into 1 intercooler setup and blow-through maf setup so i can vent to the atmosphere. I'm now wondering how the stock ecu would handle the p-r-e-s-u-r-i-s-s-a-t-i-o-n?(ooh i almost hurt myself that time). I've heard that the APR X-1 can't read boost which would force me to urn to urd's other solution, the MAP ecu2 which has an onboard map sensor(Saves me the trouble of making a maf adapter). That only leaves fuel, injectors are readily available or i could do a 7th setup. I'm also looking into the pros/cons of plumbing into the engines oil or running a separate circuit with an electric pump and temp sensor so it keeps pumping cooled oil after a hot shutdown.
Comments, questions, concerns? . . . flames, laughs, jeers?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

lazy-asses no replies? lol
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I have next to nothing to say lol. I wanna see where this goes.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #7

ok well thanks for the company . . . can i have some popcorn?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #9

SWEET
Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #11

so far it looks like urd gets about $1300 with the cheaper ecu and $1900 with the better one . . . or i could use the maf/timing calibrator and the AFR calibrator for under $1200! caching there goes a $100 to blow elsewhere
Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #12

you show that flora who's boss!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
rIDIN wHEELIEz!!
LuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cole
LuckeyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
so volvo turbo's would be probably some of the best ones to choose from but if u go with em u mite wanna look into changing out the compressor wheel in them to help with spool. considering they will be underpressurized... other than that id say go for it.. you basically just figured out 80 percent of the problems ur gonna have...
Old 06-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #15

thanks the other options are saabs, 300zx tt's, mercedes, diesels, single turbo 300zx, . . . any i forgot?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #17

the tt 300 might be an option we have one in the back lot of the shop i work at in pieces and the owner is thinking of just selling it for like $200 and if i part out the rest of it it might help cover the costs of this crazy scheme and i really love run-on sentences
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #18

ya know the ome 996 coils? that would need like 1096 coils
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
rIDIN wHEELIEz!!
LuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cole
LuckeyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
jetta tdi's or turbo bugs... but a good turbo would be one out of a smaller diesel motor. they are built to spool at low rpm's and provide trq
Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #20

where are my manners, here you go skull