Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Should I bother getting a TRD CAI or TRD Cat Back?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
KRich is on a distinguished road
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Should I bother getting a TRD CAI or TRD Cat Back?

Hello out there,

OK, so I stayed up way too late last night reading through forums trying to decide if I should get the TRD CAI and/or Cat Back. From what I read the consensus I seemed to find is that there is not much of a performance gain with the items and they will mostly just make the truck sound good.

I just bought a K&N drop-in filter not that long ago so I thought maybe I would just do the Cat Back but it is pretty pricey and some guys were saying that the tip is low for off-roading (which I don't do a ton of but would be worried about dinging the tip). I am also eventually planning on putting on a lift and 285/70/17 tires and was wondering if the TRD Cat Back would get in the way of doing the mod to fit the bigger spare underneath.

With all that being said, I don't know if I will go the trouble and cost if it's just going to get me a nicer sound. So now I'm thinking I might just get the TRD 6 spd quickshifter instead, does anyone have it and is it a worthwhile investment?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Don't bother, not unless you drive over 3500 rpm all the time and like a little noise. As far as the exhaust, you would be better off just buying a muffler like the Dynomax Superturbo and have a shop weld it in. Otherwise it's up to you and the sound you like
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
KRich is on a distinguished road
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
@ imtwistd

Thanks for the heads-up, that was the feeling I was getting as I read more and more about them. The prices that the dealerships in Canada want just for the parts is insane. I've ordered the URD short shifter to hold me over until I do the lift and tires later.

In regards to performance, I see that you didn't mess around and got the supercharger for your rig!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Going nowhere as fast as possible
imtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: I forgot
imtwistd's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Hell yeah. Let me tell ya its hard for me to keep my heavy right foot outta the pedal

When you finnaly decide on when you want to upgrade your crappy stock exhaust check out URD's y-pipe it deletes the 2 rear cleanup cats and has the O2 sensor bungs already welded in. For the cat back do your research on it but I like the Banks Monster catback, I only suggest these 2 because I have them on my truck and I think they arer the catz ass, nice deep tone at idle and when thruck is at cruising speed sounds really good with the windows down. If you decide to go this route I guarantee you wont be disappointed.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtwistd View Post
No dont bother I work for Toyota in central NY as a technician ,I do do all the upgrade installs and I think if you buy either the TRD CAI or catback you are just wasting your money. The performance from both parts SUCK!!!!
Well i'm gonna have to be the one to call you out on this bro. Not gonna try to start an argument or trying to be bashful. I for a fact know the TRD intake cai 1st generation makes a difference in performance. My buddy has an is300 completely stock performance wise. We raced from a roll 3 times when I was stock from 20 and up. I beat him by a fender every time. We raced 3 times after the intake was installed and the ecu adjusted. I beat him easily by a car. Everyone noticed the difference the intake made because I have a few buddies that are all into there cars and they each noticed my truck had gotten quite a bit faster than when it was stock. This was just with the intake put on. I am willing to bet that a dyno will easily prove an increase in HP and TQ. I ran a 16.3 in the quarter when I was stock and that was after three consistent runs. I ran a 16.0 with the intake put on consistently. If that isn't enough to prove it then I don't know what will.

So in my honest experience. I would say the intake yes. Cat-back only for sound really. I didn't really see a gain off the Cat-back other than sound. Now it really gets going though and the exhaust has really opened up with the ported doug headers
Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Shred The Gnar
PowTaco is on a distinguished road

PowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you finnaly decide on when you want to upgrade your crappy stock exhaust check out URD's y-pipe it deletes the 2 rear cleanup cats and has the O2 sensor bungs already welded in. For the cat back do your research on it but I like the Banks Monster catback, I only suggest these 2 because I have them on my truck and I think they arer the catz ass, nice deep tone at idle and when thruck is at cruising speed sounds really good with the windows down. If you decide to go this route I guarantee you wont be disappointed.
Does the banks catback they sell fit on a double cab longbed?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
imtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shedimtwistd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
Well i'm gonna have to be the one to call you out on this bro. Not gonna try to start an argument or trying to be bashful. I for a fact know the TRD intake cai 1st generation makes a difference in performance. My buddy has an is300 completely stock performance wise. We raced from a roll 3 times when I was stock from 20 and up. I beat him by a fender every time. We raced 3 times after the intake was installed and the ecu adjusted. I beat him easily by a car. Everyone noticed the difference the intake made because I have a few buddies that are all into there cars and they each noticed my truck had gotten quite a bit faster than when it was stock. This was just with the intake put on. I am willing to bet that a dyno will easily prove an increase in HP and TQ. I ran a 16.3 in the quarter when I was stock and that was after three consistent runs. I ran a 16.0 with the intake put on consistently. If that isn't enough to prove it then I don't know what will.

So in my honest experience. I would say the intake yes. Cat-back only for sound really. I didn't really see a gain off the Cat-back other than sound. Now it really gets going though and the exhaust has really opened up with the ported doug headers
Thats fine, ok maybe I should have said that it was my own personal opinon, but when you raced your friend did you have only the cai with no ecu tweak. Just curious everyone has there different experiences and every truck is different. On a different note where did you get your satoshi grille
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats fine, ok maybe I should have said that it was my own personal opinon, but when you raced your friend did you have only the cai with no ecu tweak. Just curious everyone has there different experiences and every truck is different. On a different note where did you get your satoshi grille
Yeah only the CAI. I remember when I took it off and was in middle of exchanging it for another one my throttle response was SLOW!!!!! lol. I remember the first raced I had after I took it off I though something was wrong with my truck because I honked 3 times and my punched the throttle and the truck didn't react.... I was like wtf? and then it took off.... It was only about a sec but damn throttle response is HUGE with an intake. No ecu you tweak though. Just straight bolt on and let the ECU adjust. Takes about a week or so maybe 2. My satoshi grill is a custom one that I made so I gave it a name. It's the satoshi grill with just the Toyota Emblem in the middle. Not completely done with it because I have to switch out the Toyota emblem for a TRD one that I have. It's done other than that. Kinda hard to explain but yeah that is the whole concept of it. I have a pic somewhere but it has my grill on there now. Just take away the grill and leave the emblem and you have my custom satoshi grill.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, with a SC, Y-pipe and catback, why no headers? Seems like you're leaving some hp on the table using the stock logs.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
No talk of street racing guys, just a reminder
Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
So, with a SC, Y-pipe and catback, why no headers? Seems like you're leaving some hp on the table using the stock logs.

it takes a little muffler research to pull that off. The 4.0L tends to sound like crap with wide open exhaust. I had the DTLT headers, URD Y, and URD catback on my X and I had to put a Dynomax Turbo muffler in it for it to be bearable.

with the Dcab, I am running the DTLT, stock Y, and URD catback and it sounds perfect for me

As for the CAI, if you run a SG2 you can watch the intake temp difference. I rung about 5 degrees above ambient with the TRD CAI, with the stock box it was over 25 or so above ambient

The URD intake is a good option too that gets more fresh air than any other design.

the real power comes from the tune with your mods. just slapping them on doesnt give you the full potential. the URD MAF Calibrator with the intake will give you more of a benefit. I run the APR X1 with my combo and its a nice improvement ( not to mention no TRD reflash needed)

good luck

Justin
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
No talk of street racing guys, just a reminder
Forgot to mention it was a street race on a drag strip in mexico.....
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
After some research I found they're pretty much useless on the street they're more for racing, but I found the 09+ tacomas have a different manifolds that are more rounded for better flow.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
it takes a little muffler research to pull that off. The 4.0L tends to sound like crap with wide open exhaust. I had the DTLT headers, URD Y, and URD catback on my X and I had to put a Dynomax Turbo muffler in it for it to be bearable.

with the Dcab, I am running the DTLT, stock Y, and URD catback and it sounds perfect for me

As for the CAI, if you run a SG2 you can watch the intake temp difference. I rung about 5 degrees above ambient with the TRD CAI, with the stock box it was over 25 or so above ambient

The URD intake is a good option too that gets more fresh air than any other design.

the real power comes from the tune with your mods. just slapping them on doesnt give you the full potential. the URD MAF Calibrator with the intake will give you more of a benefit. I run the APR X1 with my combo and its a nice improvement ( not to mention no TRD reflash needed)

good luck

Justin
So how is the APR X1 controller working for you
Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
Yeah only the CAI. I remember when I took it off and was in middle of exchanging it for another one my throttle response was SLOW!!!!! lol. I remember the first raced I had after I took it off I though something was wrong with my truck because I honked 3 times and my punched the throttle and the truck didn't react.... I was like wtf? and then it took off.... It was only about a sec but damn throttle response is HUGE with an intake. No ecu you tweak though. Just straight bolt on and let the ECU adjust. Takes about a week or so maybe 2. My satoshi grill is a custom one that I made so I gave it a name. It's the satoshi grill with just the Toyota Emblem in the middle. Not completely done with it because I have to switch out the Toyota emblem for a TRD one that I have. It's done other than that. Kinda hard to explain but yeah that is the whole concept of it. I have a pic somewhere but it has my grill on there now. Just take away the grill and leave the emblem and you have my custom satoshi grill.

Thanx for grill update
Old 06-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
nice sound. I like it man. No rasp from what I can hear in the vid.