1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I bother getting a TRD CAI or TRD Cat Back?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by KRich, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    KRich

KRich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hello out there,

OK, so I stayed up way too late last night reading through forums trying to decide if I should get the TRD CAI and/or Cat Back. From what I read the consensus I seemed to find is that there is not much of a performance gain with the items and they will mostly just make the truck sound good.

I just bought a K&N drop-in filter not that long ago so I thought maybe I would just do the Cat Back but it is pretty pricey and some guys were saying that the tip is low for off-roading (which I don't do a ton of but would be worried about dinging the tip). I am also eventually planning on putting on a lift and 285/70/17 tires and was wondering if the TRD Cat Back would get in the way of doing the mod to fit the bigger spare underneath.

With all that being said, I don't know if I will go the trouble and cost if it's just going to get me a nicer sound. So now I'm thinking I might just get the TRD 6 spd quickshifter instead, does anyone have it and is it a worthwhile investment?

Thanks for your help! :p

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Don't bother, not unless you drive over 3500 rpm all the time and like a little noise. As far as the exhaust, you would be better off just buying a muffler like the Dynomax Superturbo and have a shop weld it in. Otherwise it's up to you and the sound you like :thumbsup:

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    imtwistd

imtwistd Going nowhere as fast as possible

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab long bed sport 4x4 beast
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    No dont bother I work for Toyota in central NY as a technician ,I do do all the upgrade installs and I think if you buy either the TRD CAI or catback you are just wasting your money. The performance from both parts SUCK!!!!

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    KRich

KRich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    @ imtwistd

Thanks for the heads-up, that was the feeling I was getting as I read more and more about them. The prices that the dealerships in Canada want just for the parts is insane. I've ordered the URD short shifter to hold me over until I do the lift and tires later.

In regards to performance, I see that you didn't mess around and got the supercharger for your rig!:D

5. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    When you finnaly decide on when you want to upgrade your crappy stock exhaust check out URD's y-pipe it deletes the 2 rear cleanup cats and has the O2 sensor bungs already welded in. For the cat back do your research on it but I like the Banks Monster catback, I only suggest these 2 because I have them on my truck and I think they arer the catz ass, nice deep tone at idle and when thruck is at cruising speed sounds really good with the windows down. If you decide to go this route I guarantee you wont be disappointed. :D:D:D:headbang:

6. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    xroller

xroller Blowin by em sideways

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner Speedway Blue
    1 hp mod
    Well i'm gonna have to be the one to call you out on this bro. Not gonna try to start an argument or trying to be bashful. I for a fact know the TRD intake cai 1st generation makes a difference in performance. My buddy has an is300 completely stock performance wise. We raced from a roll 3 times when I was stock from 20 and up. I beat him by a fender every time. We raced 3 times after the intake was installed and the ecu adjusted. I beat him easily by a car. Everyone noticed the difference the intake made because I have a few buddies that are all into there cars and they each noticed my truck had gotten quite a bit faster than when it was stock. This was just with the intake put on. I am willing to bet that a dyno will easily prove an increase in HP and TQ. I ran a 16.3 in the quarter when I was stock and that was after three consistent runs. I ran a 16.0 with the intake put on consistently. If that isn't enough to prove it then I don't know what will.

So in my honest experience. I would say the intake yes. Cat-back only for sound really. I didn't really see a gain off the Cat-back other than sound. Now it really gets going though and the exhaust has really opened up with the ported doug headers

7. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    PowTaco

PowTaco Shred The Gnar

Member:
    The Beach Life
    Vehicle:
    Silver Surfer
    stock for now...more to come
    Does the banks catback they sell fit on a double cab longbed?

8. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    Yes it does here is the part # 48138

9. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    Thats fine, ok maybe I should have said that it was my own personal opinon, but when you raced your friend did you have only the cai with no ecu tweak. Just curious everyone has there different experiences and every truck is different. On a different note where did you get your satoshi grille

10. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    xroller

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    1 hp mod
    Yeah only the CAI. I remember when I took it off and was in middle of exchanging it for another one my throttle response was SLOW!!!!! lol. I remember the first raced I had after I took it off I though something was wrong with my truck because I honked 3 times and my punched the throttle and the truck didn't react.... I was like wtf? and then it took off.... It was only about a sec but damn throttle response is HUGE with an intake. No ecu you tweak though. Just straight bolt on and let the ECU adjust. Takes about a week or so maybe 2. My satoshi grill is a custom one that I made so I gave it a name. It's the satoshi grill with just the Toyota Emblem in the middle. Not completely done with it because I have to switch out the Toyota emblem for a TRD one that I have. It's done other than that. Kinda hard to explain but yeah that is the whole concept of it. I have a pic somewhere but it has my grill on there now. Just take away the grill and leave the emblem and you have my custom satoshi grill. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Jun 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    So, with a SC, Y-pipe and catback, why no headers? Seems like you're leaving some hp on the table using the stock logs.

12. Jun 9, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    No talk of street racing guys, just a reminder

13. Jun 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts

it takes a little muffler research to pull that off. The 4.0L tends to sound like crap with wide open exhaust. I had the DTLT headers, URD Y, and URD catback on my X and I had to put a Dynomax Turbo muffler in it for it to be bearable.

with the Dcab, I am running the DTLT, stock Y, and URD catback and it sounds perfect for me

As for the CAI, if you run a SG2 you can watch the intake temp difference. I rung about 5 degrees above ambient with the TRD CAI, with the stock box it was over 25 or so above ambient

The URD intake is a good option too that gets more fresh air than any other design.

the real power comes from the tune with your mods. just slapping them on doesnt give you the full potential. the URD MAF Calibrator with the intake will give you more of a benefit. I run the APR X1 with my combo and its a nice improvement ( not to mention no TRD reflash needed)

good luck

Justin

14. Jun 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    xroller

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    1 hp mod
    Forgot to mention it was a street race on a drag strip in mexico..... :cookiemonster:

15. Jun 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    After some research I found they're pretty much useless on the street they're more for racing, but I found the 09+ tacomas have a different manifolds that are more rounded for better flow.:D

16. Jun 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    So how is the APR X1 controller working for you

17. Jun 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanx for grill update

18. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    If you guys are interested in hearing what my exhaust sounds like I finally have a sound clip. Let me know what you think.
    At the end you can hear my electric fan. :headbang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Mb1-9dbmI

19. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    xroller

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    1 hp mod
    nice sound. I like it man. No rasp from what I can hear in the vid.

20. Jun 10, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Well now that's interesting, hadn't heard that. Where did you dig that info out from?

Also, did I see that you are using the Flex-a-lite kit for the 05+ Tacoma? If so, do you get that rumbling through the body/frame when it's on? Mine seemed to revurberate at about subwoofer level and sounded like it was cancelling my sub. I finally put some rubber washers between the fan shroud and the mounts and this helped that immensely.

Products Discussed in

To Top