Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AFE Pro-Dry S Question

Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Pro-Dry S Question

Alright, I'm going to feel like a bonehead if I am doing this wrong.

I just pulled my AFE filter out, and see that there is a second filter downstream of my AFE. Are you guys leaving this second filter in the vehicle when replacing the stock filter with the AFE?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Some people have taken them out. I think Chris stated there was no hp gain. Not sure if it changes the sound though
Old 06-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
little nicer sound with the secondary filter removed
Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is the first filter insufficient? I don't think that I've ever seen a vehicle with two filters.

I live in Denver where the air doesn't work very well. If I could get any more air to the engine, wouldn't be a bad thing. That being said, if the first filter is more restrictive than the second it's kind of a non-issue.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
little nicer sound with the secondary filter removed
Huh... I'll give it a try.

My next question is this: If I remove the secondary, does the AFE fit tightly in the housing? I would think that replacing two filters with one would leave some gap in the intake... am I mistaken?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I heard the second filter had something to do with emissions, I took it out real quick.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
El Taco, does the pro dry give you any difference in sound? I wouldn't mind a little rumble without having to spring for the catback.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
El Taco, does the pro dry give you any difference in sound? I wouldn't mind a little rumble without having to spring for the catback.
Really don't know. I have a catback that drowns out anything that might be going on under the hood. I'll pull the secondary filter and see how everything fits. I'm concerned that it'd be sitting in there loose, though.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well, you can take it out, np... it's the same general shape, but smaller in size and goes in a different housing.

I took it out, but it was a PITA. I think it must have been glued in, because it didn't want to come out. I tore it all to pieces, lol... Once I got the first tab removed I realized that I was in too deep.

No comment yet on sound difference, but I kind of doubt there will be anything noticeable.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY

I drilled out all the little plastic rivets, Then you can pull the whole filter out, at around 3k It sounds pretty good.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
I drilled out all the little plastic rivets, Then you can pull the whole filter out, at around 3k It sounds pretty good.
Hmm... I wonder if I should go cut those plastic rivets out. I'd hate for one of them to get sucked in...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
My understanding is that the charcoal filter is there to catch any gas fumes coming back out of the engine. My opinion is that this sounds like it's getting a bit anal on the fume catching thing, but it is what it is. My concern with removing it is if you live, or might end up moving, into one of these anal emissions inspection states, cough, cough, CA,,, then if they start inspecting the air intake track, you're screwed,,, well you'll need to replace it anyway.

I'm not aware of any state going to this level of inspection, but who knows where we'll end up.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
lazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedlazaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garry
lazaro's Tacoma Gallery
I have read that removing the 2nd filter does not give you any gain in hps. The 2nd filter is charcoal impregnated and it is suppose to control any gasoline fumes coming out.

I got to admit, this part of Lurkins comment made me LOL .

"anal emmission inspection states"
""anal on the fume catching thing"
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro View Post
I have read that removing the 2nd filter does not give you any gain in hps. The 2nd filter is charcoal impregnated and it is suppose to control any gasoline fumes coming out.

I got to admit, this part of Lurkins comment made me LOL .

"anal emmission inspection states"
""anal on the fume catching thing"
...and I wasn't even trying, the humor just oozes out of me...

Good thing it wasn't about any type of leakage...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
Hmm... I wonder if I should go cut those plastic rivets out. I'd hate for one of them to get sucked in...

I took the whole airbox out of the truck and blew everything out with a compressor so that didnt happen.