Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tire Size and its effect on Performance

Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Size and its effect on Performance

I have a 2.7 4X4 with 245-75 16's. I am considering beefing up my tires to 265-75 16's.

Will this have a noteable effect on my vehicles overall performance?

Many thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ed-advice.html
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
yes. more weight.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogers View Post
I have a 2.7 4X4 with 245-75 16's. I am considering beefing up my tires to 265-75 16's.

Will this have a noteable effect on my vehicles overall performance?

Many thanks.
Do you mean MPG performance? If you are careful to compensate for odometer inaccuracy, both before and after the switch, not as much as you might think but yeah, there will be a little.

The comment about weight is kinda iffy: the 265's could actually be lighter than the 245's. It depends on the manufacturer and tire grade. LT-E's are much heavier than P-Metric, so if the 245's are LT-E and the 265 are P-Metric they're probably lighter.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
WSMTOY is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
WSMTOY's Tacoma Gallery
I just went from 245/75/16 stock tires to 265/75/16 Dura Tracs about a week ago. I found it does slow your acceleration and will shave off 1-2 MPG, but I was never looking for quick acceleration or super high fuel economy. I do think these tires add a solid heavier feel and a more aggressive look. I never liked the stock Grandtrek tires but I guess Toyota was trying to save money, get better economy and get a smoother and quieter ride ?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on your driving habits and style. A taller tire effectively raises (numerically lowers) your final gear ratio. This should help on highway milage, but would hurt for acceleration.