Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flowmaster question

Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster question

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a Flowmaster muffler (40 or 50) soon, and I went to the shop where I get all my work done and he brought up some points that I'd like to get your opinion on... He said that with Flowmaster mufflers in general on the 4.0 V6, it would sound terrible, and that there would be a huge performance loss? I've read on here that it does loose a bit of performance, but the way he was talking it would be very dramatic and very noticeable. He also said that I would not like it one bit. BTW, I've searched but didn't find much pertaining to this in particular... This guy builds vehicles to race at the local drag/race strip, but is he feeding me a bunch of BS on this? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Flowmaster Dual catback setup (50 series) and I personally like it.

It's a nice rumble at idle and sounds pretty good for being on a V6. It's not loud either - it's actually perfect for what I wanted. It'll never come close to a V8 sound - but its far superior to the silence of a stock system. It does sound a bit ricey in the cab - which doesn't bother me at all. It sounds MUCH better outside the cab.

Performance? I haven't noticed any different...... I didn't buy it for performance. I bought it for bling.

Get on Youtube for some sound clips. There's a sound compilation thread on here somewhere (am too lazy to look for you)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
colton....you may lose only a couple of horses...nothin you'd notice. if you like the sound....go for it man. i personally love the flowmaster sound.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
colton....you may lose only a couple of horses...nothin you'd notice. if you like the sound....go for it man. i personally love the flowmaster sound.
Yeah, same here... Thanks for the info Will, appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Yeah, same here... Thanks for the info Will, appreciate it.
no prob.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
TRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to all

TRDSPORTtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 40 series put on about a month ago. I love the sound and I have not noticed any loss of power at all.

Tell your shop they are stupid
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
flowmasters suck
Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You suck
i have always stayed away from blowmaster. They are cheaply made... they rattle after a year. junk. People that use them mostly dont know anything about performance. They just go for a sound. Also people that use them are secertly gay.. just sayin
Old 06-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosuprem View Post
i have always stayed away from blowmaster. They are cheaply made... they rattle after a year. junk. People that use them mostly dont know anything about performance. They just go for a sound. Also people that use them are secertly gay.. just sayin
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
i have a flowmaster 40, no noticeable decrease in performance and i love the sound. 50's were designed for SUV's so they made them quieter because with SUV's you can hear more exhaust sound with the cab extending all the way to the back. If you want performance I've heard great things about Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
tacoballs will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeffrey
tacoballs's Tacoma Gallery
i have a dual flow master and i love how it sounds. i didnt notice any power loss except for offroading and climbing steep hills. but however if i get on it while im already going i have a take off increse. also have longer gearing it seems like.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosuprem View Post
rattles after a year? ive had mine for 5 years since the day after i bought the truck and it still looks new. I think if you beat the hell out of your truck you may have some problems especially if you hit it offroading or something.

But to the OP i have run one since i bought my truck, i havent noticed anything negative on the performance and all my friends with tacos love the way my truck sounds.