Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Looking to upgrade

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
crazyscout is on a distinguished road
Army:
crazyscout's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to upgrade

I enjoy my little 4 banger 02 PreRunner SR5 Taco and it's good on trails and mild off-road, but sometimes I feel I need more power to get where I really want to go. A friend told me I should put a small block 350 in it but I'm skeptical about that. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
What mods have you done so far? Does this truck see a lot of highway use?

Gears are always a good choice to get more of the engine power to the ground. The downside is you'll rev higher at highway speeds.

A v8 swap is not a cheap option and you'd save money buying a new-to-you v6 Tacoma and selling yours.

Do you have a budget?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Army:
I haven't done anything to it yet and it sees a fair amount of highway use. I've got a buddy who is planning on hooking me up with a suspension lift, changing the gear ratio and maybe one or two other things. I'm just waiting on him to get back from Iraq. My budget isn't too high right now, but at the end of the year it will be nearly unlimited.
I'm looking for things I can mostly do myself for reasonably cheap. If I don't have to swap the engine I don't want to. But modding the engine is a possibility
Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest and easiest option: search for "deckplate mod"
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
You won't see any real power gains unless you turbo or supercharge. Horsepower is expensive.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Just wondering what situations you're getting in where more power is the answer? Most of the time off-roading is much more technique and driving skill then power. Properly geared that 4 banger should be just fine, unless you're climbing trees...
Old 06-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Army:
I guess power isn't quite the right word. I was using it more as a general term. A lot of what I'd like to get into is steep slopes with heavy underbrush on exposed bedrock and whatnot. I threw my buddy's tires on and they were gripping but when I got any kind of forward movement I was stopped by a small rise or something of the sort. I also like to tear through the mud but I can't get into anything too soupy. I'm friends with a lot of mechanics and they were the ones suggesting the engine swap so I could just muscle through what their boggers do.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Army:
Can anyone tell me how to change my gear ratio? I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined. Just know how to change my oil, spark plugs, filters etc. Never had to do anything more
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Surprised no one has responded. Changing gears is definitely a more involved mod to do yourself. I've never done it personally, but have checked into it. Need 2 sets of gears, front and rear, 2 install kits (bearings, washers, etc.), plus the install. I think it was around $1500 last I checked, with someone to install it.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #10

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
He's got a pre-runner so it's only 1 set of gears.

Best option would be to remove the 3rd member, ship it to get regeared, and just reinstall when it's sent back to you. I think some places do it the other way around and will send you a complete 3rd (center section of the differential containing the ring and pinion gears) so you can install and then ship yours to them as a core return.

With a drop-out 3rd member, the gear mesh can be set up someplace else and all you have to do is remove your existing stuff and bolt in the new piece. It requires removing your rear brakes and sliding the axles out of the axle tubes, but it's not too bad a job if you're handy and have the right tools.