Notices

S/C reliability?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
WRrider450 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
WRrider450's Tacoma Gallery
S/C reliability?

I have some real simple questions.
1) How would a Supercharger affect the longterm reliability of the 1GR?
2) How much mpg's would one expect to loose from a Supercharger?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
MPG info is available if you search. I've gathered from this forum that mileage on the highway and moderate driving can actually increase. Running hard sucks a lot of gas but I haven't seen anyone post actual figures of how bad it can get.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
^^^ cool thanks man. Now what about reliability? Im thinking about maybe S/C someday but my dad doesn't think it is a good idea because he thinks it will make it unreliable.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Unreliable isn't really the right term...but FI can shorten an engine's useable life because all the deleterious effects of combustion (heat, contaminants, oil breakdown, etc) are increased along with power.

Generally speaking, it's a good idea to reduce the amount of time/miles between oil changes/air filter changes after going to FI. Supplemental oil coolers also aren't a bad idea.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Well you can get a 7 year warranty with it in Canada provided Toyota installed it so what does that tell you ?

Really it should beat a turbo in reliability because it's just so much simpler and minus the heat.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
^^^^ way too true haha
Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
You're mpgs are going to suck because you'll slam the pedal all the time just to hear that oh so sexy whine.
Oh and it is so incredibly true, I can get 19mpg on a 300 mile trip, but that whine is unbearable and I usually get 14 mpg.

I have the supercharger, I change my fluids ever 4500 with mobil 1 and I change the belt every 10 k.

Its a great investment and I have had 0 problems, the TRD is a great kit.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
TACO SUPREME
c0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK1/E-6
Name: Dennis
c0astie31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to c0astie31
What he said,

i love mine, i get 21 mpg on 91, and i have 33's
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0astie31 View Post
What he said,

i love mine, i get 21 mpg on 91, and i have 33's
^^^ I so hope that is a repeatable figure for me! My average mileage is hovering right around 15 right now.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
You will lose quite a bit of mpg. You have to install bigger fuel injectors..Also the motor will die lot a sooner. These motors were not designed for boost.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosuprem View Post
You will lose quite a bit of mpg. You have to install bigger fuel injectors..Also the motor will die lot a sooner. These motors were not designed for boost.
What you said is a bunch of crap. My mpg didn't change after I installed the s/c. Why would the motor die sooner? If they weren't designed for boost why would toyota produce a s/c for it then??? Get your info correct before you post.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
X2

Not like it's producing 600 HP after the install. The engine will be fine. If you drive anything like a idiot I'm sure it's possible to kill it. If you take care of it, it will be just fine. Last longer than any stupid turbo.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
What you said is a bunch of crap. My mpg didn't change after I installed the s/c. Why would the motor die sooner? If they weren't designed for boost why would toyota produce a s/c for it then??? Get your info correct before you post.
Need a little cheese to go with your wine?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #17

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ What you posted goes against just about everything I read on here before I decided to purchase my supercharger. I'd like to see some kind of credible information on motors dying 'a lot sooner' because they were supercharged. I haven't found one thread on here about a member grenading their motor because they put a TRD S/C on there.

If anything, I'd venture to say that perhaps the 1GR wasn't designed from the outset to be boosted, but you'd be a fool to think that TRD just went and put something together without testing it against the motor's reliability.

Yes, you do have to install larger injectors. In fact, they are included in the box with the TRD S/C. Larger injectors = more fuel, so if you use them mileage will suffer. But several people that actually have these units installed in their truck have reported mileage increases on the highway.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #18
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ive heard it can cause stress on the tranny from two different member and gadget did a write up on a tranny mod he had to do.

tons of good info here

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #19

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Ive heard it can cause stress on the tranny from two different member and gadget did a write up on a tranny mod he had to do.

tons of good info here

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
It was something for the automatic trans right? I remember seeing something posted like that after a member with larger tires boosted his truck.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
With the correct tune, boost level and fuel (91 or 93). There should be no ill effects from adding a supercharger. Toyota wouldn't have made a S/C kit and give it a warrenty if they thought there would be problems.

And cheese sounds good to go with a supercharger wine