Notices

Y pipe/header inquiry

Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
TMASS has a spectacular aura aboutTMASS has a spectacular aura about

Navy: Prior 2nd Class Petty Office(EO2) with the Navy Seabee's
Name: T-MASS
TMASS's Tacoma Gallery
Y pipe/header inquiry

So, I have a 2008 Tacoma(V6 4.0L) with a TRD Cat Back Exhaust & TRD Cold Air Intake. I really want to get the Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers and URD's Competition Y Pipe, but, I'm afraid that I will lose some of my torque AND it being to damn loud. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

p.s. I was also considering Doug Thorley's "Pipe Bomb" Y Pipe, but, it looks more constrictive than URD's Competition Y Pipe..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Krewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Krewblink's Tacoma Gallery
Im selling some JBA Short headers. there suppose to be way better than long tube headers but install might run you 200.00. They have to weld them on.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
TMASS has a spectacular aura aboutTMASS has a spectacular aura about

Navy: Prior 2nd Class Petty Office(EO2) with the Navy Seabee's
Name: T-MASS
TMASS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewblink View Post
Im selling some JBA Short headers. there suppose to be way better than long tube headers but install might run you 200.00. They have to weld them on.

Oh yeah? What makes the short tubes better? The Long Tubes Bolt on & provide more horse and torque, where as the short tubes are weld on & provide less horse & torque..? This came out of the mouth of a URD Technician..
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Short tubes allow you to keep your two front cats, which is where a good portion of the horse and torque gains would come from if you had the long tube headers.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Snowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jacob
Snowmang's Tacoma Gallery
short tube= fail
Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
It will be loud with a free flowing exhaust like your thinking of getting. Also having a straight threw exhaust on these trucks tends to sound raspy and can cause a nasty buzzing noise around 2000-2500rpm. What i've seen alot of guys do is add a second muffler to the system to help quiet it down. I'm not sure if the trd exaust is straight threw or not but if it is you will probly want to add a chambered muffler to your setup or maybe a resonator. The URD y-pipe is the better choice imo. It is made from better stainless steel and sounds and performs better(from what i've read). There's plenty of info on this here. So do your homework so your happy with your purchase.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
island is on a distinguished road

island's Tacoma Gallery
Resonator Delete

Anyone have pics of a Taco with its resonator removed? I like my Taco to have a deep roaring sound . Were exactly are the resonator located? I see two on each side of the pipe before the y. Which exactly is the one to delete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKtP6rLF7Y8
Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

Name: Jonathan
ironman_jon's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

sounds kinda like a wrx at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by island View Post
Anyone have pics of a Taco with its resonator removed? I like my Taco to have a deep roaring sound . Were exactly are the resonator located? I see two on each side of the pipe before the y. Which exactly is the one to delete

Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Richdvc is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Richard
Richdvc's Tacoma Gallery
I want the DTLT Headers too, but talking to a mechanic at an exhaust shop the other day he stated that paying $600 and the trouble to install or paying $200 more to have them do it, and to only gain like 15 horses is not worth it. food for thought
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdvc View Post
I want the DTLT Headers too, but talking to a mechanic at an exhaust shop the other day he stated that paying $600 and the trouble to install or paying $200 more to have them do it, and to only gain like 15 horses is not worth it. food for thought

It's not too hard, and 15 horsepower is considerable for the price. Emissions is another future problem though you will be removing the headers when inspection time is due.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
StormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
StormTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island View Post

Hey thats me!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
Hey thats me!
Storm, what exhaust set up do you have? Your truck sounds mean...
Old 06-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
StormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
StormTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Storm, what exhaust set up do you have? Your truck sounds mean...
2.5T swab from a WRX STI...

Lol jk , its a Flowmaster Muffler and i took the resonator off.. cant count how many times i have had to type this lol