1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket LSD w/ stock control info needed

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by eodrunner, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jun 26, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    eodrunner

eodrunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    So I have looked around and maybe I'm not typing in the right words to find what I'm looking for, but i am trying to find out how the stock auto LSD and traction control work with an aftermarket LSD. I'm assuming that if you hold the switch and turn it all off then you'd just be left with your aftermarket LSD doing everything it was designed to do. What I'm wondering is if you click the button for auto LSD would it fuck everything up with the computer trying to add in breaking to control it. Has anyone done this or do you just turn everything off.
    Also, since you're here, in the 4x2, what's your choice for aftermarket LSD. My truck isn't used for rock climbing, as it's a 4x2. Just some trail running and such. Thank for any info guys.

2. Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I would tend to think.....that if your Auto LSD is engaged, it won't function as much with the aftermarket LSD.

The Auto LSD would function based on input from wheel speed sensors. If your Aftermarket LSD is keeping both wheels spinning together (as its supposed to do), then the Auto LSD wouldn't kick-in. That's just a guess....

So, I would tend to believe....Why would you put an Aftermarket LSD in if it defeats the purpose of the Auto LSD? It makes more sense to put in a selectable locker (ARB) instead. You'll still have the Auto LSD function but have the extreme traction abilities of switching the locker on & off when you want or need it.

3. Jun 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    eodrunner

eodrunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerron
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    2 JL 10W3, Infinity reference series speakers all around, infinity 1600a and 475a amps, Pioneer Avicenna-z140bh
    I suppose that makes sense what you're saying. Since I won't be using it for climbing I don't really need the wheels to be forced to be in sync. When I'm off road it will mainly be for faster trail or harder packed type sand fun, in which case I don't want power being taken up by breaks, instead I want the "control" of having both wheels spinning about the same until I'm turning. Yes it would be dirt or sand and it wouldn't put as much strain on my driveline as if it were locked on street, but I also don't want to be forced into slides, which it sounds like, at higher speeds would be more common.

Products Discussed in

To Top