Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   Exhaust tip (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/1297-exhaust-tip.html)

TommyTaco 04-18-2007 12:43 PM

Exhaust tip
 
Hey everyone! I just recently installed an exhaust tip on my 07 Taco. Since then, after a drive, a black dust forms at the bottom inside of the exhaust. Has anyone else had this happen? I am thinking it is normal and will go away. I am just curious.

007Tacoma 04-18-2007 01:01 PM

I have the same thing - 9000 miles, and it is still there even after I wash it off it comes back.

TommyTaco 04-18-2007 01:05 PM

I appreciate it 007

flyman767 04-18-2007 02:14 PM

^ Have it as well, it's carbon build-up and yes it's normal...however, I wouldn't expect to see it go away. Expect to continuing to see it if you take a lot of short distance trips..where the carbon doesn't burn out of the exhaust system.

007Tacoma 04-18-2007 04:44 PM

Yeah, but my shortest trip is an hour drive into work...

I expect that it will go down a bit.

brownie374 04-18-2007 05:49 PM

My 2001 corvette does that also, drives me nuts I keep it clean and I clean the exhaust tips every wash!

flyman767 04-18-2007 08:27 PM

^ You can also try higher octane fuel. 89 or better. I know with higher gas prices it might be hard pill to swallow on the surface, but I've found overall operating cost is equal to or slighly better running 89+ octane due to better performance of the engine(+mpg/less downshifting/less carbon build-up).

007Tacoma 04-19-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyman767 (Post 9484)
^ You can also try higher octane fuel. 89 or better. I know with higher gas prices it might be hard pill to swallow on the surface, but I've found overall operating cost is equal to or slighly better running 89+ octane due to better performance of the engine(+mpg/less downshifting/less carbon build-up).

Yeah, I have been running 89 for the past two months. I switched back to regular last week when the prices went up again...

I think my truck is actually performing better on the lower octane fuel :confused:

I am suddenly getting 24 MPG in the city!!! :D :wave: :humble:

I washed my truck last night (mark = SHINEY), and I got most of the carbon buildup off. I expect it to keep coming back. Next truck - I won't bother with the chrome exhaust.

coreyredken 04-19-2007 06:16 AM

I thought about getting a chrome exhaust... but I keep seeing them around town and they look BAD... dirty and black... So I think I'll just keep my 70 bucks and stay with what I've got... Sounds like a plan to me.

007Tacoma 04-19-2007 06:27 AM

Yeah, mine came for free on my Tacoma. They threw it in because I didn't want it. :)

Skies20 04-19-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007Tacoma (Post 9504)
Yeah, mine came for free on my Tacoma. They threw it in because I didn't want it. :)

Yeah, isn't it funny how that's usually the way it works. :confused: Mine came for free, too.

007Tacoma 04-19-2007 01:50 PM

I wish I could tell them I didn't want an 07 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4, and they would give it to me for free... :rolleyes: :devil:

Skies20 04-20-2007 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007Tacoma (Post 9553)
I wish I could tell them I didn't want an 07 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4, and they would give it to me for free... :rolleyes: :devil:

Damn, I should've tried that! :rolleyes:

007Tacoma 04-20-2007 05:45 AM

Only bad thing - I wouldn't have gotten my manual tranny (double cabs only come with autos). :(

Skies20 04-20-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007Tacoma (Post 9602)
Only bad thing - I wouldn't have gotten my manual tranny (double cabs only come with autos). :(

I agree! Standard all the way. I find it strange that they don't offer that as an option. :confused:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 PM.