1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo baby

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by branct06, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Aug 18, 2008 at 11:08 PM
    branct06

branct06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    ok so this is what im looking at doing, i have a 2005 trd sport and im looking to put a twin turbo in it!! anyone know anything about this??? can anyone point me in the right direction and where to start? what r some of the pro's and con's????

2. Aug 19, 2008 at 1:21 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Good info on Turbo vs. Supercharger
    http://superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Turbochargers-vs.-Superchargers&id=11280

Unlike the turbochargers that require cool down time, or warm up time, the supercharger is ready to go when you are. At 2000rpm, boost is already available with a supercharger. When it comes to fuel efficiency, superchargers actually kind of help to improve your MPG. The reason for better mileage is the fact that you do not have to drive the engine at full throttle due to available boost. However, anytime that you drive aggressively, fuel efficiency will suffer.

Superchargers also tend to last longer than turbo chargers because they do not require much maintenance and have a self contained oil supply.

Toyota makes a supercharger for the Tacoma. I'm not sure who makes a Turbo for our trucks.

3. Aug 19, 2008 at 1:30 AM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 2.7L 4x2 Reg. Cab 5-speed
    Volant ram air and CAI setup, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pioneer DEH-3900MP
  4. Aug 19, 2008 at 1:37 AM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
  5. Aug 19, 2008 at 5:07 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    STS Turbo from Orem Utah makes a single turbo system for our Tacomas.
    http://www.ststurbo.com/, I agree with ^^^^ this STS is more expensive then the TRD S/C and its not immediate power.

6. Aug 19, 2008 at 4:35 PM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    the guys from trucks! and some other auto performance shows all claim no turbo lag if you size the pipes right and have the proper turbo installed

7. Aug 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    If you were going the turbo route. Wouldn't it make since to upgrade to a performance cat & exhaust?

8. Aug 19, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah that would be my thought as well.

9. Aug 19, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    branct06

branct06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    i heard the s/c wears out the motor and gaskets faster than the turbo's

10. Aug 19, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You almost have to- You'll be getting a Turbo Manifold to operate the turbo. All that would be left would be the cats and back. And not having the right outlets would induce the dreaded lag and work the bypass/blow off valve alot harder (depending on the location of the turbo)

My vote is still for a S/C- This engine is powerful enuf that a bit of parasitic drag isn't gunna hurt and it'll develop power in a more useable range.

They sound better too- but that's just IMHO.

11. Aug 19, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Who told you/Where did you see that?? The only greater wear is from running another accessory off of the engine. and that's marginal.

12. Aug 19, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    I'm with you. I think the SC is a better option over the turbo.

13. Aug 20, 2008 at 12:55 AM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    from what i've read and seen with the sts turbo system there is no need for a performance exhaust

14. Aug 20, 2008 at 1:01 AM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    But if you are sinking big $$$ into a turbo. It seems silly not to spend the money on exhaust.

15. Aug 20, 2008 at 5:12 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    The STS turbo system replaces the intake and the complete exhaust system, STS is a remote system that sits the turbo under the back of the cab instead of under the hood. Basically the turbo is the muffler from what i understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTdz2tj1q8

16. Aug 20, 2008 at 6:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...I think there is another thread about that STS system- Remoting a turbo to that location means you have to worry about ground clearance and standing water- That is a HUGE turn off for me for that system.
    EWWW...plus you can hear the lag on that first pull- It might just be cause of where in the rev band he was and how soft he hit it- but lag = bad...

I would consider a turbo system under the hood with the right wrap or water injection kit and ducting for heat management- but but with a "OEM" S/C out there- i just couldn't pull the trigger on a system like the STS....

17. Aug 20, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^^Agreed^^^^^

18. Aug 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    the newer models of the sts system come with snorkel kits for the intake in all truck and some car applications

pick your poison: the supercharger whine or sweeeeeet sound that a turbo makes

19. Aug 20, 2008 at 12:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I won't down ya...Turbos sound good....I perfer when the truck whistles at me....nice and loud from the super.

I doubt I'll be doing either any time soon....The wife wants the super for our truck...but my bank and credit card both say no....

20. Aug 20, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    mark155490

mark155490 Active Member

Member:
    OCALA
    Vehicle:
    95 TACOMA.6INCH FABTECH.K&N INTAKE
    6 inch FABTEC suspinsion lift.33's,k&n intake,throttle body spacer.

super charge.turbos are for the 4cy and super charge for v6

Products Discussed in

To Top