1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD cat back ... I thought

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Bamban, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Aug 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM
    Bamban

Bamban [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SB 4.0L
    TRD Cat back, TRD codl air induction,
    800 miles into my 08 DC 4x4 I ordered the TRD cat back and had it installed at the dealership. This is my first Taco and did not know any better, but when they showed me the truck the first thing I noticed is that it has a dual Y type polished exhaust tip. I asked the accessory scheduler if that is a TRD since every thing I saw about the TRD cat back, they all have the single outlet and the ubiquitous TRD logo. He responded that Toyota changes design without notice. Like I said ignorant me just took the statement as gospel.

Last week while I was having the TRD CAI I had time to burn so I called TRD USA and asked them about the exhaust, they confirmed that whatever I got for an exhaust system is definitely not a TRD.

When scheduler gave me back my truck after they installed the TRD CAI I told him what the TRD USA people said. He immediately called the parts manager and after a long conversation he came back and said - indeed what I got is not a TRD, of course I asked them what brand they installed in my truck. The parts manager confirmed that it was a Bassani system, which he qualified as being better than the TRD and in fact it was more expensive but they gave it to me for the price of the TRD.

I reiterated that I want what I paid for, nothing more or nothing less. They agreed to order me TRD cat back and it will be installed this Saturday.

Having driven the cat back for a week I have to admit it sounds good and maybe the truck gained some power not just the noise. The nagging question I have in my mind, which you folks can answer for me. Should I keep the Bassani or switch out for the TRD? Now that I have the CAI I am looking forward to have the sound and the performance. Which is better the Bassani or the TRD?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. Aug 21, 2008 at 6:14 AM
    sixonthefloor

sixonthefloor Active Member

Member:
    Orange Park, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Silver 05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    3" Toytec Lift w/Nitto Terra Grapplers ATs on Enkei 17x8 wheels, custom 2 tone leather, DVD headrests, AVICZ-2 Nav unit with Blue tooth/rearview back-up and XM radio, PIAA 550 lights, TRD intake w/ AFE dryflow and wrap, TRD exhaust, PIAA back-up and bed lights and Grillcraft from hood scoop to bumper.
    Honestly I don't see one cat back system giving more power then the other. I would go with the one you want more based on looks, sound, construction and if this means anything to you the name and rep. I haven't heard anything on the Bassini system until this post. I know the TRD is a stainless system is the bassini? I personally have the TRD system on my truck with the TRD intake. Love'em both

3. Aug 21, 2008 at 6:45 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    bassani makes an awesome exhaust, but if you are wanting the trd.....get it. i really dont think there is gonna be a performance difference between the two.......but im pretty sure sound will be a bit different.

4. Aug 21, 2008 at 1:56 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah. ive heard good about bassani, but if you want to keep it or get the trd its all up to u

5. Aug 21, 2008 at 3:46 PM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    The Bassini is also SS. One the sound level at WOT, the CAI ovepowers the Cat Back. Well at least from the driver's perspective, maybe just from the physical location of the sound generations relative to the driver. I love the CAI.

Next question, should I replace the TRD wet gauge filter with an AFE Dry? This may have been beaten to death before, sorry for asking it again..

BTW, who makes the cat back for TRD?

6. Aug 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Which would you predict be louder at WOT and at cruising? If I proceed to replace the cat back, it will be this Saturday and will find out soon enough..

7. Aug 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    im just guessing here......but i think the bassani will be louder at wot............but thats just a guess from having heard both exhausts before(havent heard the bassani on a tacoma), but to me.....the trd isnt that loud to me. the bassanis that i have heard were pretty loud...but sounded great!!

8. Aug 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    i have to admit the bassani does sound great. i may regret replacing it with the trd. will keep y'all posted

9. Aug 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yep....keep it posted....as im anxious to see what you do.

10. Aug 23, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    tacomaman,

i did it, swap out the cat back exhaust that is. initial observations - the bassani is louder especially at idle, seat of the pants scientific wild ass guess could not tell the difference in performance, the cai drowns both of them. the trd at idle it is almost like the stock. off idle at around 1K the sound starts to come on

my wife will be happeir to ride with me with the slightly reduced internal noise.

does anyone have the part number of the flowmaster 40 series some of the forum members used on their tacomas?

11. Aug 23, 2008 at 9:23 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    cool......as long as you like it!!! i personally like flowmaster above any other muffler for sound, as i have had them on all my trucks, but thats just my opinion. not sure of the part number either.......but most of the 40's will work.....either center in/offset out, offset in/center out, center in/center otut...........and they sound great too. very rumbly!!

12. Aug 23, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    sixonthefloor

Member:
    Orange Park, Florida
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Lift w/Nitto Terra Grapplers ATs on Enkei 17x8 wheels, custom 2 tone leather, DVD headrests, AVICZ-2 Nav unit with Blue tooth/rearview back-up and XM radio, PIAA 550 lights, TRD intake w/ AFE dryflow and wrap, TRD exhaust, PIAA back-up and bed lights and Grillcraft from hood scoop to bumper.
    I changed out the wet guaze TRD filter within the first month and installed a AFE pro dry s filter. i also wraped it with a K&N dry charger wrap. There is no dust inside the tube at all.

I thought I read that the exhaust was made by Magnaflow. Not sure though.

13. Aug 23, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:

I will order the AFE Dry S. Which part number did you use?

14. Aug 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    thanks, i do like the flowmasters, had 'em my suburban, and in my vettes. i may still yank out the trd muffler, whoever made it for them, for a flowmaster

15. Aug 23, 2008 at 5:04 PM
    poleman72

poleman72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner
    Wish I could hear what the TRD cat back sounds like before spending money on one. If it's too loud and annoying on long trips I wouldn't be interested.

16. Aug 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    sixonthefloor

Member:
    Orange Park, Florida
    Vehicle:
    The TRD exaust is quiet at highway speeds just like stock in my opinion. The cabin resonance is a minimal at crusing speeds. I had a flow master 40 on my Ram and at highway rpms the drone of the exhaust was unbareable. I had to turn the radio up and raise my voice to have a conversation. The TRD exhaust for the V-6 Tacoma is at the quiet end of the spectrum until you floor it. Honestly what ever exhaust you put on the Tacoma will be drowned out by the sound your cold air intake. When you floor it the intake will scream. I've had the K&N, Volant, AFE and finally the TRD. Most of those intakes are sealed in a closed box and their still very loud drowning any if not all the exhaust sound under hard acceleration. Sorry about the spelling. :D:D

17. Aug 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    like what sixonthefloor said, it is not that loud at cruising speed, but comes alive when you jump on the throttle, but still gets drowned by the cai at wot.

i just drove mine today at varying highway speeds, it is civil.

18. Aug 24, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    sixonthefloor

Member:
    Orange Park, Florida
    Vehicle:
    The AFE Pro dry S filter has the same dimentions as the TRD but in a synthetic media which filters much better and is a lot easier to clean. The TRD filter is also red and and the AFE is blue. Just wanted to inform you but it's not noticable being installed in the intake box anyway. It's a dry filter which uses no oil. The AFE part number is 21-90044

19. Aug 25, 2008 at 5:16 AM
    Bamban

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    six,

thanks for the info... i will order one

20. Aug 25, 2008 at 5:49 AM
    Dark Knight