1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger vs. RPM question

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by CarNDrvr, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Oct 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    CarNDrvr

CarNDrvr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma Double Cab
    Gen III Supercharger making 6#, Thermostat, K&N filter
    I've got an '04 Tacoma 3.4L that I just installed a Gen III supercharger on. Its making right at 6# of boost pretty much all the way through the RPM range. Its acting kind of weird. Once I hit around 4000rpm you can feel the power all of the sudden pick up, even though the boost is at 6# the whole time. Is this normal or is something not adjusted properly?

2. Oct 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    most likely its because there is where the engine is making its most power. A supercharger will change how the engine works so the peak power range will be different.

3. Oct 12, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    Indeed. From what I've gleaned, variable valve timing helps smooth out the power curves, so VVT-i motors don't have such a dramatic difference in RPM range powa.

4. Oct 12, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    You may be getting boost at all times, but engines do not make the same horsepower at all RPM.
    The cam profile, valve overlap, etc. all effect the power curve. You are just feeling where the engine is really coming into it's power.

Products Discussed in

To Top