1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yellow Top or Red Top, your help please

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JGUT, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    JGUT

JGUT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road Package
    2 Kicker 8" SL5, Kicker 750.1 mono amp, Kicker 200.4 amp, Kicker 6x9's front, Kicker 6.5's Rear, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, Rear view camera
    The battery on my 2008 Tacoma Pre-Runner double cab finally went to the grave. So I want to go with a good battery and I've heard good things about Optima.

So do I choose the yellow top or red top? I live in Arizona and cold weather is not an issue. I do however have a sound system installed and a car alarm.

Thanks guys for your input.

2. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I like red.

3. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    how big is your sound system/alternator

4. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I also prefer the Red Top. There is a local guy on CL selling them for 100 buck..

5. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    06taco

06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4-door TRD Sport
    *TRD Supercharger *3" OME lift kit *Dakar rear leaf springs *Total Chaos UCA *TJM T15 Plate Bumper *TJM Stealth 9000 winch
    I have the yellow top and a stereo with about 1500 watt RMS and a alarm/remote start. If you have a stereo I would suggest getting the yellow top as its designed for vehicles with stereos. I have two amps and a capacitor for my stereo and no matter how loud I play it the headlights don't dim. Its worth spending the extra money and getting a good battery, just my 2cents!

6. Oct 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is no need to waste your money on an an Optima battery especially if you don't have a stereo system with amps and whatnot. Also I don't know if you were aware but Optima was having some quality issues with their batteries not too long ago.

Duralast and Interstate are the most reliable and durable batteries on the market.

7. Oct 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Yellow for stereo but ^^ why spend extra money on a colorful battery?

8. Oct 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    JGUT

Member:
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2 Kicker 8" SL5, Kicker 750.1 mono amp, Kicker 200.4 amp, Kicker 6x9's front, Kicker 6.5's Rear, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, Rear view camera
    I'm not sure on the size of the alternator but my truck is the TRD pre-runner and I believe it has a tow package.

For my stereo I have two kicker amp, one for the two subs and one for all the door speakers. Thanks for the help. And now this is the first time I heard that Optima was having quality issues @ Yamaha Dave

9. Oct 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    can't go wrong with a yellow top, i have it because of my winch and eventually stereo, i think the "stories" of issues with optima's are just like any other battery, i hear issues with even the cheap batteries> you basically get what you pay for. if your running a big time stereo, definetly get a deep cycle.

10. Oct 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    Nubes

Nubes Toyota Addict

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red T4R ORP
    I have no experience with the Optima batteries, but when I was looking for a battery I did a lot of reading and from the best I can tell the Duralast batteries are probably the best bang for your buck. Made by Johnson Controls and you can get em at any Autozone. I bought the Duralast Gold for my 05 Taco at just a little over $100 and I had zero issues with it while I had that truck. If you were running your sound system and alarm off the stock battery I see no need to spend twice as much on an Optima. But ultimately get whatever is going to give you the most peace of mind which sounds like you may want the Optima YellowTop given that it is designed to support multiple accessories.

From Optima site:
    RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.

11. Oct 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    JGUT

Member:
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks this information is very helpful. Now unfortunately i'm out of the country and I'm not due back for another two months so I'm trying to get my family to change out the battery. Will it hurt the truck to have the battery disconnected for a long period of time? I know my Mom has had issues with her 2000 Toyota Tundra in the past where the truck ran rough after the battery was replaced. My Uncle said it was because the computer reset itself. Does any of this make sense?

12. Oct 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    ^ maybe but it fixes itself fast.

13. Oct 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    JGUT

Member:
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Good info. By the way the autozone website says that the yellow (or red) optima "check for hood clearance, requires a height clearance adapter". What are they talking about? I don't have the sport hood with the scoop, did you have any issues with height or clearance?

14. Oct 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    DirtLifeTaco

DirtLifeTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco Prerunner Black Stealth
    Im running a yellow top, Got 1200 watt amp with 2F Capacitor and two twelve's with remote start and alarm system!

15. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    06taco

06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4-door TRD Sport
    *TRD Supercharger *3" OME lift kit *Dakar rear leaf springs *Total Chaos UCA *TJM T15 Plate Bumper *TJM Stealth 9000 winch
    I didn't have any clearance issues with my 06 trd offroad package, the only thing you have to do is use the plastic top piece that comes with the battery. It doubles as a lifter bracket and it allows you to use your factory battery tie down. When I bought my battery I went onto advance auto parts website and bought it cause I saved 20% and then drove there and picked it up. I think I payed about $165 out the door for the yellow top which I felt was a good deal.

16. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    bram

bram Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bram
    belgium
    Vehicle:
    08 x-runner
    bedlid. custom made intake ... dt shorties and a flowtech warlock mufler lpi install and some music
    yelow top

17. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    OptimaJim

OptimaJim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '92 Chevy Silverado
    JGUT, before you purchase any battery, I would encourage you to check your parasitic draw. While many aftermarket stereo and alarms systems never cause any problems, some will have significant key-off loads, which can shorten the life of any battery. This video explains how to measure your parasitic draw.

Given the potential electrical demands of your vehicle, I would recommend a YellowTop battery over a RedTop. Yamaha Dave, I work for Optima and while I frequently hear of folks who are having battery and/or electrical issues blamed on their battery, I'm not aware of any quality issues on our end. In fact, many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged.

The key to long battery life, regardless of brand, is proper voltage maintenance. Fully-charged, our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts, but when any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and allowed to sit, suflation begins to diminish both capacity and lifespan. JGUT, if your vehicle regularly sees extended periods of non-use, a quality battery maintainer would be a good investment, with a cheaper alternative being to disconnect a fully-charged battery when you leave.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

18. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I'm deciding on which battery to get now, too. I'm thinking yellow top, since I use my inverter with 400W-all-the-time mod rather frequently.

19. Nov 1, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    AK Toy

AK Toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    spider headlights, coustom bumper, tires, paint, CB W/ PA, throttle body spacer, air intake, exhaust
    i have never heard anything bad about optimas till now. i like them they can be mounted how ever the eff you want to put it. id go yellow top because it recharges faster than the red. the red top is for bigger engines that need the juce just to start. not the constant power you would need for a sterio. so yellow all the way man

20. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    Tacokevin

Tacokevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Hartford, CT
    Kenwood Excelon DNX9960, Hertz speakers, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, 3" Toytec Bilstien 5100 coilovers, LR UCA, Diff Drop, Rear AAL Bilstien 5100's, XD Series Bully Wheels, 285/74R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Yellow fog lights w/ anytime mod to FJ oem switch, DTRL custom mod w/Switchback LED and stealth switch, Smoked Headlights, Wired Streamlight Rechargable LED flashlight, Color matched grill, Color matched power mirrors w/oem switch, Heated Murth Bicolor signal mirrors w/Highlander oem heater switch, URD short shifter
    Just installed yesterday.....cool thing is the mounting brackets you can get make for a nice install

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top