1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want a supercharger!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by UpstateTRDTaco, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

UpstateTRDTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    Hey guys, ive been hemming and hawwing about the TRD supercharger for my truck. really really want it :drool:

Didnt want it before because dad wouldnt cosign if i got it up front.

I only have a few payments left but, i want to know if you guys have any suggestions on how to get one other than having 5000 in cash on me, which i dont sadly.

Can i just add it to my financing now? or would i have to take out a small loan for it? any suggestions are wanted.

thanks guys,

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    For most people, I would recommend get a credit card with a 0% promo period for say, 12 months, buy it on that, then pay it off before the 12 month period is up at their own pace. Then close the account (with written proof of balance paid in full, of course). That's the easiest solution.

However, I have gleaned the following from your post:

1) You needed a cosigner for your truck, meaning your credit probably isn't good enough to qualify for such a promo in the amount needed.

2) The fact that you are asking this question probably means you aren't terribly familiar with financial tools.

So for you, I would recommend having cash on hand. Otherwise, you can quickly get yourself into deep trouble.

3. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    IMO, don't do it if you don't have the money.

going zoom, not zoom-zoom, isnt worth the financial strain

4. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    that makes sense, im part way there! i have 1300 in cash but im not sure whether i should put it towards an S/C or just other mods ??

since you guys are here you must be able to help me spend my money or save it? are the s/c really worth it or if i wanted power i shoulda gotten a bigger truck?

Sorry to vent but i just feel kinda bored with it cause its like every other taco in my town, like everyone has one, i just wanna make it more unique ya know? thats why i bought the tx pro, and the small life, maybe i should button it up with some new rear shocks and coils? some steps and a tonneau?? sorry guys just thinking outloud

5. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Slow down.

Figure out what you want to do with your/your dad's truck.

Also, are you in school or working?

6. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    both, well in transistion, i took my civil service exam and am going to the police academy in february, So i have a job(assuming i pass my probationary periods) and graduate school in december.

7. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    This, i know a super charger seems like the shit now but once you slap it on there you still got payments to look forward to. IMO its just a thing that can only be enjoyed if it is payed in full upfront.

8. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Save your money and wait until you have income to start buying stuff.

Budget comes first, bills come first, retirement comes first, THEN you can start thinking about some toys.

For now, sit on that cash in case of emergency.

More importantly: Supercharging trucks is fucking stupid. If you want a horsepower king, they make vehicles specifically for that. They're called SS Camaros, 5.0 Mustangs, Corvettes, and 6.1 Challengers.

If corners are more your thing, get a Porsche or a Subi.

I am neverendingly amazed at how many people buy a vehicle and try to turn it into another vehicle. Get a truck if you want a truck, and get a muscle car if you want a muscle car. Don't take your 4wd to the track, and don't try to carry mulch in your 'vette.

9. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    if you want to make it unique, grab some aesthetic mods. BHLM your headlights with HID projectors, grab some tint or plastidip your badges. relatively cheap stuff that makes the truck stand out.

Believe me, even the small things help...Hawaii has the most tacomas sold per capita than any other state in the US, theyre EVERYWHERE.

10. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    Ps, jandrews i think your truck is awesome, haha and i showed my dad this site and he loves your truck. he has a 2007 swb double cab off road 6spd and was like "should i get one of those bumpers"

11. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    Konaborne thats a great idea and a crazy fact, but i think the town i live in must run close, out of the 3000 residents there are at least 300 tacomas in town, personal/work/show every type of need and someone uses them here

12. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I have an S/C on my truck, it was a hell of a time to install on my own. Considering it says you have an 2011, your looking at having the dealer installing everything for you??? might end up costing a little more then 5000$ depending where you go...

13. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Makes sense, well said

14. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    on the last part, in my neck of the woods up here, there is a guy who goes to the lumber yard and uses his bike rack and some foam and carries lumber on the roof of his porsche 911, ill try to get a picture soon for you to see.

15. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

This. There's a LOT you can do to make your truck stand out without spending a lot of money, provided you have tools, a little patience, and are moderately handy.

Read around the site some.

Thanks. It's been a lot of work, and there's still a lot left to go, but I like where it is and where it's going.

:thumbsup:

16. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    thats some good shit lol

17. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    save that money, in the future if you want to travel or do something like invest you'll have the funds to do it. You have your whole life ahead of you to invest countless dollars in your truck when you have a wife and kid(s) and dont see the light of day outside of work ,lol

18. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I owned a pickup truck and i owned a 97 camaro ss at the same time. when I was out with my camaro and needed to haul shit, i'd have to go home and get my truck, and when i was out with my truck, i wanted the power.

I got rid of both and consolidated my needs into my XRunner, it can do everything I want from going to the mountains to snowboard and go offroad to camp sites and still push 215km/h. To each their own, and i understand the point your trying to make, but SOME people do actually need a vehicle that can do it all.

19. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    I stopped count at 400 driving around the this island...in an hour :anonymous:

Still, them aesthetic mods work wonders. Before my lift and tires and whatnot, just switching out my lights and adding gnar supah cool decals did the trick of it being recognized as "cody's truck"

20. Oct 19, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    And you have an xrunner. the truck that's supposed to go fast.
    Mine on the other hand........ :D

Products Discussed in

To Top