1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New gears. Weird sound.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by dvd0020, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    dvd0020

dvd0020 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road Double Cab
    TRD supercharger, 4.88 Nitro gears, Doug Thorley long tube headers, aFe stage II intake, Pro Comp 6" DB lift (Icon Coilovers, Alcan 6" Springs, Bilstein RCD rears), NST lightweight pulleys, Morimoto mini projector retrofit for Spyder headlights, Cobra CB, 4' Fire stick, Pioneer AVIC-U310BT head unit, 2 10" alpine S, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, NFAB tire carrier, custom Colorado pinstripes
    So a couple weeks ago I got some new 4.88 Yukon gears installed for my 35" tires. I can hear the gears making low whining noise when I let off the gas. Also does it constantly at around 1100 rpms. Just wanted to make sure this is normal. Doesn't really bother me as long as something isn't wrong. Thanks.

2. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Depends on how loud it is.

New aftermarket gears are built for strength not OEM level quiet. So there may be a little more gear noise. If you had them professionally installed, there'll be a disclaimer on your receipt to that effect.

That said, if the backlash is set poorly, the gears will be too noisy and will also wear out too quickly.

I'd say if you're struggling to hear it over the tires (is that tire noise? or the new gears??) it's probably OK. If it's real noticeable, I'd take it back to the shop and at least have them go for a ride with you and listen to it.

3. Apr 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    dvd0020

dvd0020 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road Double Cab
    TRD supercharger, 4.88 Nitro gears, Doug Thorley long tube headers, aFe stage II intake, Pro Comp 6" DB lift (Icon Coilovers, Alcan 6" Springs, Bilstein RCD rears), NST lightweight pulleys, Morimoto mini projector retrofit for Spyder headlights, Cobra CB, 4' Fire stick, Pioneer AVIC-U310BT head unit, 2 10" alpine S, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, NFAB tire carrier, custom Colorado pinstripes
    Thanks for the reply. It is definitely noticeable over the sound of the tires. I will definitely take the truck back to the shop to have them listen. Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top