1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol or Non-Ethanol???

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Racingfan, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Racingfan

Racingfan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRDOR DCSB V6 PreRunner
    Has anyone compared the gas mileage difference between the two fuels? I have a friend that claims he gets better gas mileage with the non-ethanol fuel in his Dodge Pickup? I haven’t tried it...with the difference between the two fuels at about 25¢ here in Alabama, it might be worth it? Any thoughts?

2. May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Pure gasoline gives better mileage. I get about an extra 2 MPG, but the price has gone over the top in my area. Give it a shot and do the math to see if it's worth your while.

3. May 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Pure Ethanol has a base octane rating of 118.
    Pure ethanol is stoich at around 9:1 air/fuel ratio.
    Gasoline is stoich at 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.

A gasoline engine that gets 29.4mpg running "E-0", tuned properly and running "E-100", would get 18mpg, and would produce about 75% of the power.

Ethanol is not our friend.

4. May 5, 2012 at 2:29 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I am supercharged and I notice a HUGE differance when not running E-10 gas. WIth E-85 and tuned for it a boosted engine can make huge power numbers but for the average vehicle it sucks.

Check this site out: http://www.pure-gas.org/

It lists all the known non ethanol gas stations in your area. I use it all the time, also most non ethanol fuel is 91 octane or higher, thats one of the main reasons for the price difference.

5. May 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Racingfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! Going to the beach next week, might try it out then.

6. May 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I just recently did this exact comparison. better gas mileage, but the price difference for the E0 is soo high that it makes it the same cost per mile.

7. May 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Racingfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I tried it and here are my results:

E0 (87 Octane) - $3.71 a gallon; drove 321.4 miles (mixed interstate and city roads); used 15.797 gallons. So, 321.4 miles ÷ 15.797 gallons = 20.346 miles per gallon. About 18 cents a mile.

E10 (87 Octane) - $3.51 a gallon; drove 343.1 miles (mixed interstate and city roads) used 16.674 gallons. So, 343.1 miles ÷16.674 gallons = 20.577 miles per gallon. About 17 cents a mile.

I just hit around 2500 miles on my truck at the start of my experiment. So, I guess it is somewhat broken in. With that said, this is the first time that I’ve averaged over 19.3 miles per gallon since I bought my truck. For those keeping up with it, I have been able to exceed 350 miles per tank of gas. I haven’t tried to hit 400 miles yet. Might have to wait for a trip to Tennessee for that experiment.

Oh, E0 (93 Octane) was available at $4.06 when I statrted this process. I just chose to use the 87 octane for both E0 and E10.

8. May 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Two data points (tanks) is not enough.
    Take a look at the graph on my Fuelly link.

That is 100% the same gas from the same station (even the same pump), and the same commute.
    The only difference is the density of traffic. Some days I'm flying along at 75-80 getting horrible mileage, some days I'm stuck sitting for 3 hours for the 40 mile trip getting horrible mileage, and other days traffic is flowing a smooth 60-65 all the way home and I'm cruising along getting 26+ on the Ultragauge for the SRT Trip indication.

It needs to be averaged over many tanks under similar weather conditions.

9. May 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    Racingfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I agree with you Rick that two trips is not enough data. I just wanted to see if there would a big difference between the two fuels during my trip down to Gulf Shores and back home. In my case, there really wasn't a big difference. I do calculate my fuel mileage with every fill up. I don't chart the information. With that said, I only got a little over 18 mpg on my first tank of fuel (around 320 miles). My mpg has increased everytime as one would expect as the truck breaks in. The last two fill ups finally put me in the 20 mpg range. Not sure if the E0 made a difference or not. My truck seemed to like the E0 better than the E10. My limited trial doesn't show a difference between the two. Like you said, I would need to gather more information.

I notice you have the 2.7L engine. My first Tacoma PreRunner ('98 Extra Cab) had the 2.7L engine and I averaged between 23 and 24 mpg per run. I loved that truck! :)

10. May 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Also, at 2500 miles your engine is no where near broken in. The 4.0 dosent really start loosening up until 10000+ miles. You will usually see an increase in milage after that. Also, E0 makes a big difference for me because I am supercharged and pushing about 5-6 psi so the non ethanol is a big increase for me.

11. May 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Actually, if you can kick the boost up, and get the computer to properly adjust the mixture AND the timing, you could pull some decent power out of E10 (at the cost of economy).
    Ethanol has a lower BTU content than gasoline, but the 118 base octane is a big help if you can hold it rich enough to run higher pressures.

12. May 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I know, thats why most of the tuners run E85. But unless your specifically tuned for it it dosent add any benefit.

Products Discussed in

To Top