1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cost to have Short Tube Headers Installed?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TacomaGus, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Most everyone on here who has done headers has gotten the Long tubes, but i'm more interested in low end gains and wanted to see the input on guys here who have the short tubes and what cost was like for the install?

I've searched and couldn't find anything definitive on here, but other sites were stating as high as $600 bucks for install, but i think that was due to them being cars (mustangs, chargers, civics) and thus the space was tighter and engines even needed lifted.

If the numbers are outrageous then i'll just order the urd maf cal...

2. Jun 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    IIRC I paid about $250-$300 to have mine installed.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    ya i'm debating between these and the urd maf cal cuz i have no confidence in my self to solder, so the maf cal+ wiring harness will be $500. DT short tubes are 350ish+ 200-300 for install so idk

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    i see you have an intake, catback, y pipe and the headers so idk where the headers were added in, but did you notice any significant low end difference?

5. Jun 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    I added the headers & y-pipe at the same time. And I was also supercharged before I did the headers and y-pipe but by deleting the rear cats with the y-pipe It felt like I lost a little bit of low end due to less back pressure in the exhaust system. I'm not going to say you will have a significant difference in low end with the stock y pipe and short tubes but I would think you would pick up some low end. Good luck with which ever one you choose.

6. Jun 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    It should be a little less than when I had them put on my stang years ago, they had to unbolt the motor and trans and lift them up, (but I then replaced all the mounts and clutch) but if you do do headers, I got them at JEGRS, get new manifold bolts, and exhaust gasket, don't reuse, or get OEM, it cost more, but you won't have to worry about a failure. and you would be surprised as to how hot your floor will get, I was, I would look into wrapping the headers, or extra heat padding under your feet, one thing I overlooked.
    believe me those babies get hot.
    mine cost 650 to install.

7. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    Just checked my receipt:

$100 to have the header installed

$75 to have the catback installed

I purchased the items online seperately and had them installed by my local shop. They always have great prices on stuff like this installation.

edit: btw it was Doug Thorley header and catback

8. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    damn thats nice! But arent the 4 banger headers bolt on regardless, thus requiring no welding? And even if that was the price it'd still be atleast $200 for me since they'd do both sides

9. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    Correct. Forgive me for not realizing our applications are quite different.

10. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    well still that gives me a good idea within the range of prices, seems like it'd be between 250-300 for install at a local shop. Hopefully this helps out others

11. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    they make those for the 3.4 and 4.0 ( I think )also, and they are good quality headers.
    since its a hard and somewhat expensive upgrade, and one mistake on the install and you will have problems, is why I cannot stress enough to spend the money upfront so you won't have problems later.
    the cheap headers are prone to rust, or blowthrough over time, or bad welds on the pipes, I'm not trying to be a now it all, but I have seen alot over the years with headers.
    there is a good write up on the install on the 3.4 on customtacos site, I know not the same as yours but give you a idea of what's involved.

12. Jun 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    no any advice is welcome. I will eventually be getting headers, just unsure of long or short ones. I'm prob just gonna get the maf cal first then down the road when i get headers i can tune to the length and even with the long tubes perhaps make up lost low end power?

13. Jun 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    Ok, you can go in both directions, and I had my stang 11 years before I got back to reality and got my truck, anyway.. the motors in both are sort of close in some respects. overhead cams, loves to rev, and higher power band, and somewhat lacking in low end grunt. and with the stangs and cobra's there are 2 camps, shorty's or the long tubes.
    long tubes are great if you live on a drag strip, they really kick-in above 4000 (i also did the gears,) I liked having the power on tap at the start with out having to run the motor so hard. and I would have to wonder if you are off roading would it not be better to have the extra power at a lower range.
    and I will tell you that doing the gears will hit your mpg if you do a lot of highway driving, I only did the mild change I think to 4:10 and instead of 1800 at 70 mph she was pulling 2600 at 70.... (why some people were putting 6-speeds in stangs)
    either way, do some major google searches on the supject, and read both side, and figure out whats best for you.
    remember: opinions are like assholes everyone has one
    of course it was nice, years ago I was driving home and got above Charleston WV on 77 and there was no traffic, and I rolled along about 90-110 to the ohio river.

14. Jun 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    solid thread. I was talking to the folks at doug thourey today. they have long tubes out for the 2012 now. they had to do a redesign becuase of the air injection. they plan to have the short tubes out in about 3 moths.

Products Discussed in

To Top